Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44183 - 01/07/03 07:20 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
dmeister Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas
I thought the Perfect Vision review sounded less like an objective product evaluation and more like gratuitous flattery in an attempt to woo for more advertising dollars. I, personally, would have preferred some actual measurements, and perhaps a list of "high points" and "low points." Something with some substance, not an attempt at audiophile poetry and "mental masturbation."

For example, the reviewer wrote, "I didn't just hear a smoother upper range, but... a greater sense of dynamic ebb and flow, and a more expressive, and hence involving, presentation." For a moment, I thought I was attending a wine and cheese party at a local art gallery. Of course, I'm not much of an audiophile, so maybe you other guys appreciated this review more than I.

There seems to be a growing trend in AV magazines to move away from what little objectivity they once had in an effort to cater to advertising dollars. Sound and Vision recently decided against providing measurements of Sony's new DA4ES receiver with all channels driven, since Sony "didn't design it to perform that way"?!?

#44184 - 01/07/03 07:30 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
charlie Offline
Desperado

You're right IMO, and figuring out why is left, as they say, as an exercise for the reader.

#44185 - 01/07/03 08:34 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
That's why I think it's important to get info on (new) products from as many sources as possible. So even if one or two (or more!) sources are only providing "fluff," you can get something substantial from *somewhere* ...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44186 - 01/12/03 06:17 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

The February 2003 issue of Home Theater Mag has a favorable review of the Atanlic Technology P2000 pre/pro. It is a brick & mortor clone of the Outlaw 950.

#44187 - 01/12/03 08:18 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
dmeister Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas
I heard it received a rather nominal "value" rating, however. Also, I believe the reviewer had a small concern about some aspect of the sound quality, though I haven't actually read it yet.

#44188 - 02/03/03 06:41 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Hey: Ron's one of us, and he has Klipsch's too!

#44189 - 02/04/03 02:14 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I can't remember, do the Outlaws have a link somewhere to "reviews" of the 950 (and other eqp)? Be a good one to add.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44190 - 02/04/03 02:58 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
merc\'s primary system

#44191 - 02/04/03 03:03 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, he ain't one of us all, and.... I'm just too much of an admirer of Outlaw to say anything more of his review.

Anyone considering the 950 should consider ALL reviews and forum threads but if I was to buy.... I'd place my most dependence on RAFs most recent review and those of the most critical doubters who currently are enjoying their 950s.
merc\'s primary system

#44192 - 02/05/03 02:40 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
recaros4 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Auburn, AL, USA
Having read the HT review of the Atlantic P-2000 (or whatever its designation is), I recognized the piece of equipment as a 950 clone. At the time I did not know that Atlantic is one of the companies involved w/ the Outlaw Audio group. And now I've learned that Sherbourne is the other group. In any case, reading the Atlantic review, I leaned even more towards getting the 950 with one of the amps than I had before. I did compare the HT pictures to those that I d/led from Outlaw: both the front and rear panels were exactly the same (and hence my conclusion).

Now that I've also read the Perfect Revision's review of the 950/ amp combo, I'm now definitely going to pick up the pair. I'll probably stick to the 5 channel amp, tho, simple because I don't see a time when I'll have a place that will justify the 7.1 setup. As it is, 5.1 will be a stretch. Basically, the two reviews combined have ensured that the Outlaw setup is what I'm going with. I was considering any HT Receiver unit by the traditional players (Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Devon, etc.), but the price difference for separates is negligible as a result of the quality of the Outlaw products. And, if I remember correctly, the HT review of the Atlantic only gave one score in the high 80s for the Atlantic -- and I thought it was for layout or ease of use or something like that. Just adding my 2 cents worth to the discussion.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM