Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44173 - 12/21/02 08:39 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Will,

I would have to agree that after the 950 burns in it doesn't really have a brightness problem. But if coupled with other electronics that have a tendancy towards the bright or strident, the 950 wouldn't help matters.

My only sonic complaints of the 950 for HT would be that it could be more detailed and coherent, but of course those are adjectives usually reserved for the expensive stuff.

It could also use improvement in the 2 channel area, but that's easily cured with the addition of a 2 channel passive pre. And for those coming over from the receiver world, I could see where they could be pleased enough with 2 channel performance as it is.

#44174 - 12/21/02 06:59 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
I and many other find the 950 somewhat bright and forward, although not excessively.

But if as Soundhound says, the hiss fixed 950 does not have quite the same 950 "signature" sound the earlier 950's had, and also since I believe the hiss in the earlier 950's may have contributed to the tendency to the brightness, and the new ones won't hiss as much, it's possible the new 950 may be less bright and forward, than the current version, and may be by comparison, slightly warmer.

This is speculation. But I briefly had a pre red-dot one-off of the 950. The one-off hissed a little less than the red dot and also to my ears at least, sounded a tiny bit warmer than the red dot 950.

#44175 - 12/21/02 07:30 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Will:

The new 950 is the only revision (unless I'm mistaken) that uses entirely new op-amps in some key stages. The parts have been massively upgraded to ones generally used in pro-audio equipment. This will make a difference in the sound, for the better.

The presence of hiss does in certain instances give the impression of more 'high end'. This was a real problem in the days when Dolby noise reduction was first introduced to the recording industry. Many people thought the high frequencies sounded muffled, but in fact it was just the absence of tape hiss that gave the impression of less high frequencies.

As I wrote on another thread, I would be very curious to hear your impressions when you get your replacement 950.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 21, 2002).]

#44176 - 12/28/02 12:11 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
jack dotson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX U.S.
I would like the see the full reveiw. I'm going to see if I can find a copy tomorrow. I've also done some comparisons using the analog and coax digital outputs of my Rega Planet 2000. The difference between the two were drastic, but I'm not sure which I liked better. The Rega is a highly regarded CDP, but in my system (main speakers are PSB Stratus Gold i's), it's just too laid back. My speakers have this same characteristic so it's too much. Something a little more analytical and detailed works good with my speakers. I've got the 2000 sold and am looking at my options. I've been kicking around the idea of getting the new Sony DVD-999ES, but on the other hand I was wondering if it would be worth it? My other option is to get a cheaper deck and use the DAC's in the 950, what do you guys think? BTW, the 950/755 combo certainly doesn't sound bright in my set-up. In comparison with other components I've used I would have the say these are very accurate.

#44177 - 12/28/02 01:54 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Will Offline
Desperado

Jack Dotson,

I imagine the sound you get from the digital outs of your existing player should be similar to what you'll hear by swapping some other player (a cheaper deck you're considering) for what you have today, as long as you are using the same digital cabling, connected to the same 950/770. However, some people say there are differences in different players with bit timing/clocking of the digital output signals, but I don't know if it's a big deal at least I'm not sure I've personally ever heard a difference in the digital outs, with modern DVD players. But maybe I have a tin ear.

I have PSB Stratus Silvers for my surround channels. To my ears, Stratus Silvers are almost but not quite as warm as your Stratus Gold i's. However the difference in warmth is not great. Admittedly, some would say the Silvers are warm sounding speakers, and I would not disagree.

My mains are not made by PSB. My mains are brighter than even my Silvers, but only slightly. Admittedly my mains are noticably brighter than your Stratus Gold i's. My mains are not considered bright speakers however.

When played through my mains, I think the 950 is slightly bright.

Anyway, one reason I look forward to hearing the new 950 is it may be warmer than the current 950.

But since in your case you want to brighten your sound, you may want to try different interconnects between your 950 and 770. Or try different speaker cables between your 770 and PSB Stratus Gold i.

Good luck!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited December 28, 2002).]

#44178 - 01/02/03 04:37 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Picked up a copy of TPV at Borders today and read the 950 review. The reviewer's overall opinion (for the 950 and 770 combination) might be summed up in the following quote taken from the review: "With these Outlaws, the widest dynamics are not as dramatically rendered as they are with the very best, but they remain far better than I've heard with comparibly priced separates and A/V receivers". He goes on to describe his listening experience in one word; "beautiful". Interestingly, he found the 950's character to have a "warm disposition". (I would tend to agree in that I have never felt my 950/770 in my system is "bright" in character). Overall a very positive review. Those 950's and 755/770's are probably flying out the door now!

#44179 - 01/02/03 09:12 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Will Offline
Desperado

Do most products reviewed in TPV get positive reviews?

#44180 - 01/02/03 10:11 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Only Outlaw products

#44181 - 01/03/03 02:19 AM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
No. As a dude Lee Scoggins put it over on HTF, TPV "trashed" the SACD quality of the Pioneer DV-47a.

Maybe that's why they upgraded the DACs in it (the 47ai)...

But in general, they do seem to go out of their way to review a component as to its price.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#44182 - 01/07/03 01:20 PM Re: The Perfect Vision review?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
I picked up TPV from my local bookstore last night and the review is very complimentary. Nice to read.

------------------
Philip Hamm

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM