CH

It seems that SH was going along with the irrelevancy of efficiency - and we got it back to directivity of horns.

If you could re-state it with the above discussion taken into account, it would be appreciated (the repeating of the efficiency position - not necessarily the position .

SH:

The horns were made of lathed aluminum in a batch of 500 and because the non-horn version of the speaker was usually excellent enough in the small rooms where the speakers were sold - it was uneconomical to make another batch. A commerciaal calculation - not a technical one.

I was not sounding off on horns as I have no preejudice against them - just own experience (including selling god awful EV PA horns) has made me cautious of any one word/two word solutions. I had to put up with people running around claiming direct drive tt's were better than belt per se, moving coil better than moving magnet, closed better than reflex, etc. - without anyone questioning whether the ACTUAL technology was better that I approach such things with great caution. Horns - as almost anything else - can be good - IF they are good