Charlie:

The measured noise is about 4-5 db better (-85db wideband on the prototype), BUT the gain now is about 8db higher, and the volume control and trims now control the gain AND hiss level. The bottom line is that you can lower the volume or trim by 8 db which lowers the noise relative to the old 950 by 8db IN ADDITION to the 4-5 db measured noise reduction. This is about a 12 db or so noise reduction total relative to the old 950. This subjectively is a reduction of a bit over one-half as much noise as before. In other words, if you could hear noise at 1 foot before, now it is the same hiss at 6 inches, if you could hear the hiss at 50 yards before, now it is only 25 yards The 'quaity' of the noise is also more of a Shhhh, rather than a Hissss, as in the present 950, so the hiss that remains is a bit less 'hissy'. I honestly think this is a big improvement, without totally trashing the basic platform of the 950 and starting over. There's not much more they could do, short of a total re-design (and I would assume that is going to be the 'big brother' design). It's good enough for me. I don't know if you ever had a 950 or not, but if you did, think of the noise being cut in half, and see if that is good enough for you.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 24, 2002).]