Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43715 - 01/04/03 06:33 PM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
though admittedly, i suffer from many maladies, dillusion is not one of them. if there is a weak link in the playback chain, especially the software, out the window it goes. eq doesn't replace a weak link.

the fascination with high end discrete components is...results.

however, i agree with keeping a digital recording completely in the digital domain, including digitally bi or tri amplified speakers...it's the not too distant future of HT.

on the subject of eq, does anyone out there ever use the theater compensation feature?

dobeman...sounds like a very nice setup. what are you using for sub and where do you set the low pass point?

#43716 - 01/04/03 07:13 PM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
CC Rider Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Pedro,Calif
AwRight you guys get off my back

I'm going to use Eq whenever I feel the need-regardless of speaker position or quality or whatever.

If I like the sound with tone control's tweeked-then i'm tweekin,and thats it-period.

I am not on a never ending quest for the Perfect speaker/amp combination-I just like hearing music the way I want with the equipment I have,and if it sounds better with the bass jacked,and treble tweeked So Be It.

I guess this thread can go on indefinately,but if I can find a pre/amp combo that adjusts ALL speaker's equally in the Multichannel mode I might prefer it over the Outlaw's. (know of any?).

For myself-enjoyment of Multichannel HiRez audio with the equipment I now have-needs tweeking of tonal qualities for my situation.

Maybe the addition of the 950/770 will negate my need for tweeking,but I doubt it.

Regards
CC

#43717 - 01/04/03 10:34 PM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Whatever's done behind closed doors, between conscenting adults, including EQ is OK by me

#43718 - 01/04/03 11:46 PM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
charlie Offline
Desperado

Oh - I guess you'd like it to stay near the topic? So you're one of those!

I think the Anthem has a simple EQ on each channel and the Ref30 may also. Look in the online manuals to be sure.

How's that?

#43719 - 01/04/03 11:53 PM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
charlie Offline
Desperado

Eq is everywhere, like it or hate it. IMO it all boils down to (1) use it to solve appropriate problems and (2) QoI. It's way too late to try and get rid of EQ in the signal chain, even if it was a bad thing.

Bosso - Wasn't slammin' the link, it just makes me a little crazy that an engineering choice (discrete components) is used as a marketing tool, when in fact good and bad designs are equally possible with IC's or discrete parts. It just depends on the implementor and his design constraints. I'm sure the gizmo you linked to is a nifty unit!

#43720 - 01/05/03 08:39 AM Re: Tone Control's with DVDA/SACD
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
charlie: i know you weren't slammin'. i enjoy reading all of your posts. you're a smart guy.

i only know eq from the production side. as a bass player for many years, i got ripped off by terrible gear/producers too often.

these days, i play mostly because i like to. i can just say that, when i walk into a studio and see an avalon design di box, my tension level ratchets down a couple of notches.

i've recently worked with a super, mega-anal guy who spent many hours eq-ing my bass tracks, while, at every step, asking me what i thought. my bass is custom made with no volume or eq. just a straight signal through dead quiet, high quality pickups, so it's up to the producer's gear and ear. i shudder at the thought of someone playing that disc through twin svs subs, running 8db hot and eq'd on top of that, you know, for slam and hit and all those ridiculous verbs. if the music is supposed to do those things, it will. it doesn't need to be re-mixed at the listening position.

it's like buying a rembrandt, then touching it up a bit with some interior latex paint from home depot.

i understand that once you buy it, you can do what you like with it. but...sayin' it's ok is another thing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM