Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4355 - 09/15/03 10:18 PM Recording TV Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA USA
I have my DVD Recorder/Player hooked up to record from the TV (Video 1). Is it possible with the 1050 in line to record one channel while watching another? I know if the DVD Recorder/Player were hooked directly to my satellite receiver I could do this by switching from DVD to TV - same as a VCR. Can't find any info on this either in the Outlaw manual or the Hughes manual.

#4356 - 09/16/03 09:26 AM Re: Recording TV Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What recorder are you using? I've spent quite a bit of time with a Panasonc DMR-E80 recently, and might be able to offer some specific thoughts on connecting it.

The satellite receiver will limit your options some, I suspect. To record a broadcast, you will need to rely on the satellite receiver to provide the recorder with the signal to record, at which point you can't switch the satellite receiver to another channel without recording yourself channel surfing. You could record something from the satellite while watching a DVD on another DVD player, but to do that you'll need to connect the DVD recorder inline with the satellite receiver (s-video and stereo analog audio from satellite to DVD recorder, then from recorder to 1050). The 1050's VCR record output uses whatever the active input is, so you can't connect the DVD recorder to that, tell it to use the satellite input, and watch the DVD player input at the same time.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4357 - 09/16/03 09:53 AM Re: Recording TV Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

After I wrote all that I realized that we talked about your DVD recorder a while back . Panasonic DMR-E30, right? So you could connect the satellite to input1 (where I think you may have had the cable box before), the VCR on input3, and connect the E30 (and the satellite, since it is passing through the E30) to a video input on the 1050. Does the satellite receiver have two outputs by any chance? It would be pretty handy to have it directly connected so you could watch satellite while copying a video tape. If you, you could always connect it with an RF cable to the TV and connect the TV's audio outputs to the 1050.

------------------

#4358 - 09/16/03 01:51 PM Re: Recording TV Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Gonk;

Yes, I do have the E-30. Here's how I have things hooked up: Satellite receiver connected to Video 1 (in); Video 2 analog (out) to E-30; S-Video 2 out to L1 S-Video( in) on E-30; S-Video (out) on E-30 to S-Video 2 ( in) on 1050. Then I have the VCR connected directly to the E-30. This way I can record a DVD to VHS (or vice-versa) on Video 1 (L3 on DVD) while watching TV on Video 2. I can record TV to the E-30 through L1 (DVD) but only on the channel I'm watching.

I'm still looking for a way to watch one program on TV - say a ballgame - while recording another program from TV. This can be done with a conventional (non HT) setup and a VCR or DVD, but can I do it through the 1050?

Thanks...

Daryl

#4359 - 09/16/03 07:20 PM Re: Recording TV Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

You can watch one thing while recording another if one of the two programs is coming from OTA (an antenna to the DVD recorder, for example) and the other is from satellite. When you have cable (as I think you did when we talked previously), the DVD recorder could decode the analog channels internally and record something while the digital cable box showed some other channel. The satellite is limiting you on that, unless it has a dual tuner of some sort in it.

------------------

#4360 - 09/16/03 10:22 PM Re: Recording TV Question
Daryl R Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk...but

I just talked with DriecTV and there is no way I can record one channel while watching another unless I have 2 cables into my house. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and can only have one line in - therefore I'm stuck! Soon as this year is up, BACK TO CABLE!!!

Thanks for your input.

Daryl

Who's Online
0 registered (), 211 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM