Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43461 - 12/21/02 04:38 PM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Jason- If Outlaw hadn't fixed the hiss in the 950 (OK, I don't have the final version yet, but I'm hopeful), ya know what I would have chucked my current 950 for?

Either the H/K 8000 (which does do L7 on 5.1) or the 7200 (which might), or the B&K Ref 50. I imagine that Outlaw would want to know that. You know for ... "benchmarking".

BTW, I have personally found that the Outlaw's Saloon has a really liberal policy on postings. I imagine that others would agree.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#43462 - 12/22/02 09:11 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Jason Kent Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Michigan
Right - there should be discussion and mention of other products, etc. And I am even sure that it is of value to Outlaw.

What I was objecting to was a new thread being opened with the 'alternate' subject line - and the first post was just simply a URL address - and the second a 'check this out as alternative to Outlaw' - nothing else.

No other text - to me that is like a person from another brand walking into a store selling competing products and tapping a customer on the shoulder and saying here's a brochure from the place down the street.

If other goods are to be discussed in the Outlaw forum I think it would be polite and proprietous to give Outlaw a fair shake with some respect - and that would include some relevant text with any mention of other products. And I stress the idea of being considerate and polite - not really a great sacrifice or effort - in spite of us living in the age of road rage, flaming and 'the middle finger.'

[This message has been edited by Jason Kent (edited December 22, 2002).]

#43463 - 12/22/02 11:06 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
for those of us who have auditioned receivers-as-pre/pros in the $800-1500 price range before owning a 950, this thread...well, to me, anyway...is a chuckle.

buy a 1050 and an icbm.

how "loud it goes", adcom for amplification (sorry adcom owners), polk speakers (sorry polk owners), no mention of a subwoofer system or source hardware (though none is probably necessary), no tweaks, no other comparisons, etc... great audition.

i frequent this forum for information and news that relates to all ht and hi-res surround format hardware and software and tweaks and the connection schemes thereof. the h/k 320 as an alternative (spell-check?) to the 950 is neither.

sorry to be brutally frank, but this is probably how i would react if i were in the smoke shop buying marlboro reds and some cat tried to hand me a bull durham.

#43464 - 12/22/02 03:36 PM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

for those of us who have auditioned receivers-as-pre/pros in the $800-1500 price range before owning a 950, this thread...well, to me, anyway...is a chuckle.

buy a 1050 and an icbm.

I don't know if I'd recommend buying a 1050 at this time. It's practically January 2003 and the 1050 has been out since 2000. There are so many receivers at it's price point that have newer features and components. Even though this is a forum put on by Outlaw, they probably want to know some people think the 1050 is long in the tooth.

#43465 - 12/22/02 06:19 PM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Upwards to about 2 months ago, I was *heavily* looking at receivers-as-pre/pros to compete with the 950.

I had basically settled on the H/K's, or maybe the Denon 3803. Also looked at Yamaha, but their stupid fixed 90 Hz crossover turned me off, even though I think they do the best DSP of any major manufacturer.

But still even the Denon only has a global crossover (the brand new H/K's do have the triple crossover), and none of them have analog bass management. So the 950 won for me.

I do have a wish/hope: that Outlaw traded H/K the triple crossover for Logic 7, and that L7 will show up on the 950's big brother, whenever it shall appear.

#43466 - 12/23/02 08:27 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
What's the big deal about Logic 7?

I know it is Harman Int'l own format, but what makes it so nice?

#43467 - 12/23/02 08:41 PM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Fly Guy: I have never heard it, but supposedly Logic 7 really is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. (Lexicon owners swear by it.)

I don't care about Logic 7 applied to stereo sources, but it is really supposed to make DD/DD EX/DTS/DTS-ES sources sound even better on a 7.1 system. (L7 does non-mono rears. DD EX and DTS-ES don't.)

THX Ultra2 might come close, because it also does non-mono (decorrelated) rears.

And, even according to the title of this thread, "Check this out as an alternitave", once I get my 6.1 to 7.1 conversion done, I have an old Shure DPL processor with a "mono" mode that also does some type of decorrelation. I'm going to use that on the mono rears the 950 puts out, for a "po' man's" version...

#43468 - 12/24/02 12:38 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
fly guy,

LOGIC7 is simply a matrix surround decoder designed by Lexicon for its line of surround processors. It has developed a strong following amongst people who prefer its particular balance of channel separation and envelopment compared to other matrix decoders like PL II, Circle Surround, DTS Neo:6, etc.
Quote:
What's the big deal about Logic 7?
Aside from decoding ability, there are a couple of features that make LOGIC7 different from all other matrix decoders. First, while L7 will work just fine with a 5 speaker set-up, it was the only one designed from the begining to be used with 7 speakers: 3 front, 2 sides, 2 rears. And while every matrix decoder works with mono and stereo material, L7 is (again) the only one that also works with 4, 5 and 6 channel material. It uses Lexicon's patented logic steering algorithms to expand all those sources to 7 independent channels of sound: stereo sides and stereo rears. This is different from EX/ES decoding, where the sides are stereo but rears are mono reproduced through 2 speakers.

LOGIC7 decoding for 2-channel material can be found on Lexicon pre-amp/processors and H/K receivers, like the AVR-325 that is the subject of this thread. The version of L7 that expands multi-channel material to 7.1 can be found on all of Lex's pre-pros but currently on only one H/K receiver: the AVR-8000.

Best,
Sanjay

#43469 - 12/24/02 02:16 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Sanjay- Very nice summary.

#43470 - 12/24/02 03:36 AM Re: Check this out as an alternitave
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
THX Ultra2 might come close, because it also does non-mono (decorrelated) rears.
Whoe baby.... I'm sold.

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM