Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43249 - 12/14/02 10:41 AM New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Hello all

I know that this has all been discussed to the nth degree, but I need to know some of your opinions.

My old Sony DVD player went out on me 2 days ago. I'm desperately looking for a new player now. Unfortunately, due to it's untimely demise, I have very limited funds for a new player. I have $200...that's all I can devote to this right now. (My receiver is on the blink too)

I've been considering the toshiba 4800. My dealer said he would sell it to me for $170. But it is DVD-A compatible only. Are there any DVD/SACD players out there in this price range??

Right now I'm looking at titles available in both formats to determine which one would better suit me.

I will be purchasing SOMETHING before the weekend is over.

Thanks

#43250 - 12/14/02 11:20 AM Re: New DVD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
The Sony DVPNS755V is about in your price range. Onecall has them, but your local CC or BB may have them in stock if you're in a hurry. If you're shameless, there's an Apex model (AD-7701) that does DVD-A and SACD, but the image quality is said to be poor. There's a review at techtv.com

#43251 - 12/14/02 12:58 PM Re: New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

No....I'm not totally shameless, and video quality needs to be pretty decent, and ideally progressive as I plan to upgrade to a RP next year(got my eye on the toshiba 50HDX82)

I just looked at some of the titles available, and DVD-A has several I would like to have.

I would really like to get the pioneer 45A, but just can't spend that much right now.

Do any of you think I wouldn't be happy with the toshiba 4800?? Are there any major problems/limitations with it??

#43252 - 12/14/02 01:38 PM Re: New DVD player
charlie Offline
Desperado

Toshiba has a pretty good reputation.

All I really want to say is that almost without exception every time I've bought 'all I could afford' I've been sorry later. Everyone is different, but for me I've learned (the hard way, mostly ) that it's better to just wait and get what I really want later. The only other way that works for me is to buy something for the moment that's so cheap it's practically disposable while saving for what I want.

YMMV.

If you think the 4800 will keep you happy, cool. Sorry but I don't have any specific personal experience with that model.

#43253 - 12/14/02 02:07 PM Re: New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Charlie

I agree with you about the "settling for something less" theory. However, when I start thinking about getting something a little better, it doesn't stop. I see something a little better on the next step up,and the next step up,and so on and so forth. Whatever I spend on this DVD player won't be a 'waste' of money since I will just 'hand it down' to the kids to have in one of their rooms, whenever I can get something better for my system.

My big problem is that I have a major move coming up at the first of Feb. I'm moving to Kona, HI for a new job. This move is sucking up LOTS of $$. Whatever new player I get needs to get me by for a year, or maybe two. As well as compromising a little on the DVD player, I'm probably going to get a mid level receiver instead of separates (like the outlaw or AT combo)

Hopefully in a year or two, I will be able to re-do the front end of my system.

[This message has been edited by fly guy (edited December 14, 2002).]

#43254 - 12/14/02 02:52 PM Re: New DVD player
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
If money is an issue, remember that current DVD-A players require getting SIX sets of cables, from the player to receiver. The current generation of analog-only DVD-A players will be outdated when digital DVD-A interfaces become standard. (Just one digital cable.) Future pre/pro's and receivers will have to support the new digital standard, as well. Whatever you buy today won't be current when the new stuff comes out, so I agree with not wanting to spend too much money on it now, especially with money being tight.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited December 14, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM