Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
... The "house" enclosure on the projector is a fun touch. I'm also curious about the speakers you are using.

That "projector house" has a few very practical uses, one being that little annoyance we have here in CA, called earthquakes It also cuts down considerably on the fan noise from the projector.

My main left and right speakers are Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theatre" A7-500s which have been very modified and tweaked. They have a JBL diffraction super tweeter crossed over at 11Khz mounted on top of the midrange horn. The center speaker is the same Altec midrange horn as the left and rights, but with JBL 4412 cabinets on either side, used for their 12" woofers only. The surrounds are JBL 8330s. These are the surrounds used in the majority of cinemas and dubbing stages. The Altecs were designed originally for use behind the screen in cinemas, but I have modified them extensively to tame them and flatten their response. The subwoofers are JBLs. There are two cabinets on each side, back to back in bi-polar connection, with 18" drivers. I just tested them a few days ago, and they were capable of 120+ db at 18Hz. The room takes it very well - I make very liberal use of 'earthquake putty' to keep pictures on the wall, and the pots on their shelves