the facts always sway me more than the few loudest detractors.

in following this forum for a long while, i'd approximate 45 happy 950 owners and 9 unhappy (of whom only 3 or 4 have said they returned the 950 and purchased a competitor's prepro).

my dad always told me: 'if you do a good job, they'll tell 3 people, but, if you do a bad job, they'll tell 33 people'.

using that adage, and considering this forum would be the place to voice dissatisfaction, and also considering approx. 1,000 950s shipped, i don't think the ball has been dropped.

i also followed loosely, the 1066 and avm20 threads 'over there' and saw similar numbers of gripes about various issues, from failed upgrades to repeated blown fuses.

what if you paid $3,000 and then had to pay $300 more to upgrade, then waited weeks to find the upgrade was faulty. and then read that the newer same model was including the upgrade at the price you paid with no upgrade?

i would demand my money back, buy something else and then go tell 33 other people. i don't think, though, that that would derail an otherwise good product.

i think, if outlaw truly dropped the ball, the loaded question, 'is anyone happy with their 950?', would have yielded an avalanche of resounding 'NO' answers.

i do agree with the gist of soundhound's comments: they should change the published s/n specs. i do however, wonder how many other electronics products also have bulls__t s/n specs.

soundhound: i need a big. could you please bring me up to speed on the +4dbu vs. -10dbv thing? in particular, will a -10dbv component realize enough gain, or too much gain, through a +4dbu preamp? and, can you go from unbalanced to balanced without a line converter?