The 950 definitely has a cool, "analytical" presentation to it. And if Santa Clara Jim's previous setup was geared to a warmer component like the HK, I can see where he might be disappointed with the overall sound. IMO the warmth has to come from somewhere (speakers, Amp, source, etc).

I do agree that while the 950 sounds accurate to me, it isn't terribly revealing of details. And I also agree that even though my speakers have been calibrated, there isn't a great sense of coherence as found in higher end processors.

But don't forget that the Anthem is also considered a major bargain in its price range so you are taking a real step up.

All that said, though, I'm very pleased with how the 950 sounds for movies. The sense of dynamics, timbral realism, and just all round realistic sound of the unit is incredible for the price. But you do need good surrounding equipment for it to shine.

Yes, I wish I was happier with it for 2 channel, but for the price what does for Home Theater is simply amazing. And there are always ways to integrate a 2 channel amp for the best of both worlds.

But alas, Santa Clara Jim, you've heard something that sounds dramatically better to you in your system, and once that happens, there's no turning back my friend. Now don't go doing anything foolish like listening to the new TAG or THETA units. Remember the kids tuition, and the new furniture your wife's been hinting about..