Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Know what the DC-2 and MC-1 used?
Kevin: Lexicon has always used a combination of chips: currently it's SHARC and Crystal; in the older models it was a mixture of a few types of Motorolas, Lexichip (which ran the proprietary surround processing), and Zoran decoders. BTW, if you want to see what what the innards of the MC-12 look like (including a hi-rez pic of SHARC chips), go here .
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb:
Do they only handle the surround processing or do they handle the entire audio path?

I find my Sony ES receiver to be very harsh sounding (even when using external amplification). Is this the result of the chips used?
Sayer: the DSP engines are basically used for signal manipulation; DTS/DD decoding, bass management, time alignment, surround processing & post-processing, etc. I doubt that the DSP engines would be contributing significantly to the sound quality of a pre-pro. The D/A converters probably have more influence, but ultimately it's the analog section and power supply that make the biggest sound quality differences between various audio components. Doesn't your Sony receiver have some sort of Re-EQ function that you can use to tame your bright sounding speakers?

Best,
Sanjay