Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
Gonk: agreed. For the moment, I'm going to take this "clone" business, at least in regard to the Adcom and Fosgate units, with a grain of salt. Like I said, the Cirrus/Crystal chip is very popular with A/V manufacturers. The fact that Fosgate does and Adcom may use that chip doesn't automatically make them clones.

Just to clarify... I never claimed them to be clones (the subject line was intended to show a connection to the original), just that they were built on the same platform.

FWIW - I got the info when I called Sherbourn this afternoon. I spoke with a very nice guy with an accent (British?) who said his name was Ron Phone and is one of the owners.

He was very complimentary of Outlaw and said they have a very good working relationship. He listed the differences between the Sherbourn and Outlaw and said those differences along with their level of service (said the distributor would come out and install the unit) was justification for the price difference.

When I mentioned that I had heard the platform was going to be used by other manufacturers he offered up Adcom and Fosgate. He did not mention models but did say the Fosgate would have a 5" LCD screen.

The funny thing was that just two hours earlier I had gone up to a local AV dealer during lunch and that's when I first heard about the Adcom model which should list at $1500.

The other funny thing was that an old neighbor of mine who owns the online high end A/V business http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/ emailed to tell me about the Fosgate while I was at lunch finding out about the Adcom. It was quite a shock when Ron mentioned them during our call.

So... those are the beans I have to spill. I was only kidding when I said that I could not reveal my source. I had no idea there were people who watched the industry so closely on this list or I would have been more direct in my original post.

Sayer

[This message has been edited by SayersWeb (edited November 12, 2002).]