Quote:
The fact that Fosgate does and Adcom may use that chip doesn't automatically make them clones.

My thought exactly -- the impression I got from the original announcement of CES's inclusion in the 950 was that it was a newly developed product that was being included in the 950 before it appeared anywhere else (production delays made that "before" a little less so than they'd originally hoped, but that's a separate issue that we've all beaten thoroughly to death). The use of Cirrus processing does not a clone make. The use of Cirrus's triple crossover does not a clone make, for that matter. I think the only ones that can reasonably be labeled "clones" are the ones that differ only in faceplate color and "tweaks" to the specifications. If the Adcom or Fosgate use some design components from the 950 (such as some version of the analog bass management on the 5.1 analog input), it doesn't feel like enough of a parallel to call it a clone. It would be an interesting re-use of design components, though, if it turned out to be true.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review