Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4188 - 06/06/03 04:17 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Well, stay calm. Worst case scenario, you know Outlaw will repair or fix the unit for you at no charge. And it's a good unit in general, so if yours happens to have a flaw in it, don't let it spoil your opinion of the receiver. My brand-new Lexicon MC-12 had a serious hardware problem, too. These things happen from time-to-time. As long as you have a good manufacturer (Lexicon in my case, Outlaw in yours), you're covered.

One more thing you might want to try is to verify that you're connecting the right wires to the right terminals. If speakers are being run in parallel off the same input, that would increase the power draw and therefore the heat generated. Also, make sure your surround speakers are hooked up to the correct input, since if you incorrectly hooked them up, that would explain why you're getting surround noise in 2-channel mode.

Jeff

#4189 - 06/06/03 04:21 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
brykle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:
Well, stay calm. Worst case scenario, you know Outlaw will repair or fix the unit for you at no charge. And it's a good unit in general, so if yours happens to have a flaw in it, don't let it spoil your opinion of the receiver. My brand-new Lexicon MC-12 had a serious hardware problem, too. These things happen from time-to-time. As long as you have a good manufacturer (Lexicon in my case, Outlaw in yours), you're covered.

Yes, valid reality check. I'm not really worried that I'll be stuck with a broken receiver, but rather am just irked because I was very excited about getting all this set up, and this has effectively put a damper on it.

One more thing you might want to try is to verify that you're connecting the right wires to the right terminals. If speakers are being run in parallel off the same input, that would increase the power draw and therefore the heat generated. Also, make sure your surround speakers are hooked up to the correct input, since if you incorrectly hooked them up, that would explain why you're getting surround noise in 2-channel mode.

I'll triple-check this (again) when I get home. I don't suspect the explanation is this simple, though that sure would be nice.

#4190 - 06/06/03 04:46 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
While you're back there, you might also glance at the 4ohm/8ohm speaker switch, just to see where it is compared to what you're driving (what are the Snell's rated at?).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4191 - 06/06/03 04:51 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
brykle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
While you're back there, you might also glance at the 4ohm/8ohm speaker switch, just to see where it is compared to what you're driving (what are the Snell's rated at?).

It's set at 8. All the speakers in the setup -- even the teeny tiny Cambridge Soundworks surrounds -- are rated at 8 ohms.

#4192 - 12/02/04 09:40 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
David2376 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Been a long time since I posted here...

Sorry to waken the dead with this post but I've been having the same problem recently. My 1050 is shutting itself off at certain points in certain movies. I know this is a safety feature but it's doing it at a really low volume, no where near anything that would damage the speakers. It's at specific points of audio and it will do it over and over at those points. I have a 5 channel speaker setup and they're all set to large.

Any ideas on a way to fix this or turn this feature off?

#4193 - 12/03/04 01:18 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So this is happening at specific passages on specific discs? It sounds like there may be more going on here than just the 1050's normal safeties. I couple of things that I might try just for curiosity's sake would be to try playing those passages using the analog audio outputs from the DVD player instead of the digital, trying the passages with the sound muted entirely, or (if possible) even trying a different DVD player. Also, I'd double check all my speaker wiring (might even try disconnecting the speakers and playing the passages) to make sure there's not a wiring mistake there.

#4194 - 12/03/04 09:22 PM Re: 1050 shutting itself off -- ANY ADVICE?
David2376 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Exactly, specific bursts of volume on specific discs. Most recently, Back to the Future II everytime the car burst into a new time. Also Fire in the Sky during the "encounter" scene. I forgot to mention I'm using optical inputs. I'll try your suggestions but unfortunately I sent both those discs back already (Netflix).

I'll try all of your suggestions once I find another disc that this problem occurs on. I also should point out that I've had the same speaker setup and wiring for 9 months and only in the past two weeks has this started happening.

After I do some testing I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM