[QUOTE]Originally posted by soundhound:
[B] Sorry Dude: I happen to use Dynaco MK IIIs to drive my side surrounds and a Stereo 70 for my rear surrounds. Both are _dead quiet_, and having actually measured _and built_ them, their frequency and power responses are extremely flat to within +- 1db to 15Khz for power response and 20Khz for frequency response. And guess what - no firmware upgrades - and that is since - oh yes, 1973! I really should dump those worthless things......
QUOTE]

No surprise, I also have a pair of MKIIIs, and ST70, and MKIV. The noise is about equal to my 950; ie with my ear at the tweeter, I can hear a slight hiss, and w/the tube units, a slight hum as well. From 1', probably not unless its midnight. From 2', no way. The dynas have fairly low gain, my speakers are around 90dB sensitivity. My reference was to the fact that the 950 or any other processor doesn't operate in a vacuum. Cables, ancillary equipment, RF proximity, all sorts of things are involved. I expect Outlaw has had a hard time replicating many of the hiss problems reported, thus an easy fix is elusive.