Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
i don't know how close my unit comes to meeting spec (all specs published, not just s/n), but do you really think the spec should read " this specification may vary depending on your particular configuration of the infinite combinations of components, their relative quality, interconnects, the particular order of path selection and format"? or..."this spec is a worst case scenario and will not be correct for the vast majority of owners"?

Not at all. I think it's pretty clear that the measurements have to be taken in a case like this of the 950 alone and referenced to a standardised or noted reference. For instance in the case of S/N many amps are measured 'unweighted referenced to maximum output'. Outlaw claims a S/N ratio of 102db for the 950, which measurement I assume did not involve cryogenicly cooling the unit before testing. If this is an honest spec then any 950 pulled from the production line should exhibit similar performance. At least 2 of 2 did not. It's that simple and has nothing to do with any other equipment in the system. This kind of noise figure can easily become an issue if the room is quiet enough and the connected equipment conspire to raise it to the level of audibility. Sure, some rooms and equipment won't do this, but the whole purpose of very low noise equipment is that it shouldn't matter in any reasonable case. If that 102db were real no reasonable system would exhibit hiss sourced from the 950.

Now customer satisfaction - that may have something to to do with the system the 950 is attached to. Some listening areas are probably noisy and some systems either mask or compensate for the hiss. I live in an area where if I step outside I can hear a gust of wind coming through the trees for several seconds, then as it passes over me I can hear the trees creaking as they bend ever so slightly in the wind. During the morning birds sing and in the evening, if it's not too cold, frogs may be heard easily. It can be very quiet in my house, and my system is very quiet when it should be, and it matters to me. The 950 might work for me, but my experience with the 1050 has not been encouraging. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited November 05, 2002).]