‘Truth’ lies on both sides of the fence. Can you handle my truth? That the 950 tweaked performs better than what I have heard anywhere near its price range. The ‘truth’ that I did not have to buy the 950 as far as budget is concerned. (I take that back,…I should have a budget but for once in my life it got tossed out the window) That I actually choose it for sound. (Hiss and warts and all…) That anyone purchasing any pre-pro at any price trades off something somewhere? I think Jetsetter is getting cranky, because it’s a bummer when you are enjoying your system, have no problems, want to simply reflect and rejoice over your new sound. And yes Will does have the right to get cranky on his side, because in a few (people’s systems ) it’s appeared to be a problem, - and its probably like being left out in the cold, while everyone else is in by the fire drinking rum toddies and
I chose to give the Outlaw a try after considering many/many/ things in this area. (Not the least of which was sound).. I find I have a leaning for transparency in a system the Outlaw fulfilled plus the ability to run DVD-A (Or SACD) if I wish, analogue passthru, incredible HT performance, that would be hard to beat with any system., and the effortless power the 950/770 combo produces. (Which mind you came in very handy when shopping for a speaker upgrade as it did not limit my speaker choices as regards the high-current amp requirement models)

I find it really ironic, that while I had heard other receivers and pre-pro’s it was the Outlaw that led me down the path to a speaker upgrade because I wanted to more fully realize the potential of a system, on the 2 channel and passthru side although my original goal was for a stellar HT setup (achieved).
Also that the well burned in Beethoven’s I heard in one room on the flagship elite Pioneer receiver, and in another on B&K. (Sorry did not pay attention to the model on this set was getting tired of listening back and forth). Did not bring out the detail and sound that the 950/770 does at home with this pair. And it should not be an issue of ‘bad room’ acoustics at the demos. Because I’m in the situation of having no ‘tweak’ room for acoustics in this room. I’m shoehorning the system in. And so far they’ve just been uncrated and placed down with no regard for toe in/toe out/ distance from wall / bass tweaking/ soundstage optimization.
And the Outlaw makes them sing….

SH from the spec point I see your argument, But call me weird…I would not even let the salesman access the specs on FR etc when he wanted to ‘run get those for me’, on the Sonus Faber’s, Martin Logans, When I was listening…I didn’t want to be swayed by paper. I can tell you I was able to pick things like which speakers had a silk tweeter Vs metal, listening through the different rooms. Every time I asked the salesman (this is silk isn’t it etc) I was right, and I did not know who had it and who didn’t when I went in. Did you know that in the beginning of The Vince Guaraldi Trio’s recording of “Christmas Time Is Here” (most would recognize this from ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas)’. That that’s definitely a brush being circled on a snare. Yep - definitely a brush on a snare not a hiss on a snare is what I hear.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited November 04, 2002).]