Yes, there are a number of people who have an elevated level of hiss compared to previous gear, or in some cases, at the listening position. As far as I know, there is no update or cure. I have read on another forum that they are still working on it, but I've not heard anything else.

I'm afraid that the only possible cure for the hiss would be to wait for a comparable pre/pro to come out from Sherwood Newcastle and possibly others, try one of these out, and see if it cures your hiss problem. There _should_ be more of these competetively priced units to come on the market in the near future.

I have audible hiss from about 5 feet from my speakers in the 'analog DSP' mode, but it gets significantly quieter in all other modes such as optical or coax digital input. I have very efficient speakers (106db / 1 watt) so I actually consider myself pretty lucky that the hiss is not significantly louder. My 950 is however hissier than the Sony EP9ES it replaces, and hissier than my stereo vacuum tube preamp that is in-line with my front left and right speakers.