Will,

While I agree that balance is critical, I would only ask you if you have heard any of these speakers?

Of the speakers in the list, I would only replace the Klipsch.

As for the response from bossobass, patience is a virtue. I am sorry you are disappointed but 1) my life does not revolve around my home theater and 2) we tested a great deal more but trying to describe it all would be prohibitively time-consuming.

If you have have specific questions, please pose them. I will be conducting further tests this weekend.

Charlie,

I noticed slightly less hiss on the Anthem. You might want to ask Kevin about that.

More to follow,

SC Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Quote:

Front Speakers: JBL S312
Center Channel: B.I.C. DV62CLR
Surrounds: Klipsch Quintet

Hi Jim,

In any home theater, balance is key. Personally, if I had JBL S312 front speakers (available new for under $142 a pair at eCost.com) and a BIC DV62CLR center speaker (available new for under $130 at nowOnSpecial.com) and the KLIPSCH Quintet Microsystem surrounds, I'd probably upgrade my speakers, to better match the capabilities of either the Anthem or Outlaw.

Whatever differences you heard between a properly set up Anthem and Outlaw should pale mightily, in comparison to the differences you should hear after upgrading your speakers, from those three different vendors. I hope you re-balance your home theater, whether you get the Outlaw or the Anthem. The difference in price between the Outlaw 950/770 and the Anthem combo (presumably the AVM20 + MCA-50 + MCA-20 = about $6K) may be used to buy speakers, if you were so inclined.

Good luck with your Wednesday decision!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited October 19, 2002).]