Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4135 - 05/15/03 10:44 AM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
One of the things that I have found is that the 1050 (and I believe 950 as well) is marginal when it comes to signal switching capabilities. Specifically, it can only send to the VCR the signal that is currently being sent to the video monitor and line outs.

My old Yamaha by contrast had a output source selection switch so you could record on a VCR or tape deck, remember those :-), while watching or listening to something else. Now that we have moved to a home theater environment with multiple simultaneous sources signals being available, I look at the 1050 and wish it had this capability.

I realize next time I make a purchase, I will need to be a lot more careful about making sure what capabilites are on a unit. My computer based experiences had led me to believe that I would not miss anything when upgrading from a 8 to 10 year old Yamaha to the 1050.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#4136 - 05/15/03 04:07 PM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
73Bruin: I have stepped in it on this thread once already (see above--still need to check as noted), so maybe I'm off target here too.

Our cable box has a "pass through" mode so that one can watch one channel while recording another. In this mode, the TV receives the signal from the box, but the TV tuner is used for channel selection. Are you sure your box doesn't have this capability?

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#4137 - 05/16/03 02:42 AM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
michaelstano:

My version of the SA 3100HD box mentions an optional passthrough capability for the cable feed but it isn't included in the base unit. My reading of the manual (online) leads me to think it wouldn't solve my problem.

What I miss from my old unit is that I could watch a DVD on TV with the sound going through the receiver at the same time that the VCR was receiving input being routed through the receiver from the cable box. In other words it could do signal switching independent of its signal processing and amplification functions. This makes the wiring a whole lot simpler.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#4138 - 05/16/03 09:09 AM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
RE: Digital coax and RCA.

Once again, I have learned something on this forum I would otherwise have never figured out.

As noted above, I have both digital coax and RCA connections from my cable box to the 1050. I do have sound on all channels via the RCA connections, but the digital channels (for me, mainly music) aren't digital until I switch the input on the 1050. So, my original comment is correct--I have sound on all channels, but, were it not for this forum, I wouldn't have been smart enough to switch to coax on the 1050 and get the best sound possible on the digital channels. Thanks for the education!

"I tweak therefore I am."

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#4139 - 05/16/03 09:37 AM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
I know Time Warner in Memphis is now using a Pace cable box in addition to the SA. The Pace 's digital connection is always on - even for analog signals. I had forgotten how happy I was to have that until I switched this week to the SA 3100HD box. Now if we can only get TW to start broadcasting local channels in High Def and add ESPN HD before the Stanley Cup is over...

#4140 - 05/16/03 09:45 AM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
OK, I fired off an e-mail to my local Time Warner office a few days ago, asking about the Motorola box and the possibility of getting a box that provides a digital output at all times (including the stations that don't include a digital feed). I was rather pleasantly surprised to get a reply this morning (the local tech support / customer service department has a pretty bad rep, particularly the first tier call center, which is why I didn't call with my question) -- check out the reply:

Quote:
Mr. Prillaman, I apologize for the delay in answering your email.
I have checked with our engineering department and they suggest you get one of our Pace settops. It outputs PCM in both Dolby(when available) stereo and mono audio.

You can go by any of our pay centers and swap the box you have for a Pace. Pls let me know if this works. Thanks Judy

It appears that Time Warner has started using a couple of new boxes from Pace Micro , including the DC-550 HD for HDTV users (which does not include me, alas) and the DC-510 or DC-511 for standard-def digital cable. I'll try to swap mine out next week and will report back with my findings, but others in a similar position may also want to check it out.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#4141 - 05/16/03 12:37 PM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Did they confirm to you that they are using the Pace DC-550 HD box? I followed your link and saw that the Pace box has a DVI port - perfect for my HDTV. I never even thought to ask the installer Monday if I had choices other than Scientific Atlanta. Gonk, I would absolutely recommend you pick up a Pace box over the old Scientifc Atlanta for the Digital Audio alone. The only problem I had with it was finding the remote codes for my ReplayTV.

#4142 - 05/16/03 12:47 PM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
gonk Offline
Desperado

TurnerF -- Two Memphians posting in the same thread at the same time... Whodathunkit? Unfortunately, I wasn't inquiring about HD, so I'm not sure if TW Mid-South is starting to use the 550 or not. The latest news at Pace Micro did include an entry from 5/12 that TW had begun to deploy it so I suspect that even if they are using it, they are just starting to get their hands on the first units.

I guess I'll take a trip down the street on Monday and trade out my Explorer 2000 for a Pace. I'm not worried about remote codes -- I'll just teach the 950's remote the necessary commands. Thanks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited May 16, 2003).]

#4143 - 05/16/03 02:28 PM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

I'd be grateful if you could inquire about the Pace HD box while you're down there - actually if you have any plans to upgrade your set to High Def in the near future you might just want to start with a High Def box. It was a no-cost switch for me - the installer told me it was a free replacement as long as you are currently getting either HBO or Showtime (currently our only High Def channels). On a side note - I watched Spiderman late Wed. on HBO HD and... Wow....

#4144 - 05/16/03 02:34 PM Re: Scientific Atlanta’s 3100HD Coax Digital “OUT”
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'll make the switch on Monday (or perhaps Saturday, depending on Mrs. gonk's plans since they're only open from 8 to noon), and when I do I'll ask about the HD box. If they don't know, I've got an e-mail contact now that should be able to tell us.

------------------

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM