BoB- Here goes...

1.) what happens to the signal of a stereo cd when played in 6 ch. bypass? (sound comes through all 6 channels and i have no clue how it's routed or what that does to the test)

>> see #2

2.) kcb, fortunately, you can get the signal to play through only L+R+sub if you are in stereo mode before engaging 6 ch bypass (though some view it as a glitch). which was the case when you tested for phase in 6 ch bypass?

>> There are 3 ways I measured for phase. i) coax digital. ii) 2 channel analog input (DVD). iii) the front 2 channels for the 5.1 analog inputs. The phase for i & ii was the same. But the phase for iii was ~180 deg off from i & ii.

4.) kcb, did twaeking the phase on your sub essentially correct the phase problem?

>> No. I can get *either* the coax digital/2 channel analog inputs, *or* the 5.1 analog input the be in phase at one time. For now, I know what the knob should be set to on the back of my sub, so I just switch it for whatever source I'm listening to. BTW, it does make sense that the coax digital phase is exactly the same as 2 channel analog. ... Because the 2 channel analog source is getting A-to-D'ed, then time delayed and bass managed, then D-to-A'ed. The coax input is exactly the same (it looks like) except for the 1st A-to-D conversion.

When I get more time, I want to try a "middle" setting and do measurements at the listening position to see if I can't get a happy compromise between the 2 phase settings on my sub. Also, just for info, between the 2 phase settings (coax digital/2 channel analog in phase, 5.1 analog out of phase vs coax digital/2 channel analog out, 5.1 analog in), the sound level value difference was about 5 dB. Pure test tone at the crossover setting.

Also, BTW, the new version of Anthem software includes a sub polarity setting as well as a variable sub phase setting in increments of 5 Hz (I think). But I believe that the Anthem does *all* bass management digitally, so that pre/pro presumably wouldn't have the same problem as the 950.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!