Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#411 - 12/08/01 02:17 PM Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
Scott Young Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Valley Park, MO, US
Hey folks! I am a newby to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing an old subject. I am very interested in the 1050, but I just read the S&V review online, and have a few specific questions. IIRC the reviewer said:

#1. The rear center channel's bass information was not directed to the subwoofer.
#2 The unit would entirely mute when "dropping down" to stereo or prologic encoded sources while listening in the 6ch mode. (As in watching a DVD in 6ch, then checking out the "making of.." features done in stereo only).
#3 All 3 ambience enhancing modes sound the same, perhaps all stuck in the prologic mode.

I sent an email to Outlaw, and they responded with a form letter, basically saying, "Oh yeah, we fixed everything and it's all OK now". I would personally have preferred a response that addressed each concern directly. Something like "Problem #1 - we did this... Problem #2 - we did this... and so on.

So here's my question: does such a response exist on this forum? If not can someone out there answer the THREE questions?

#412 - 12/08/01 03:30 PM Re: Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll toss out my experience with these.

1) I don't have a subwoofer, but I run my mains full-range. I have not noticed a problem with bass info from the center surround, although to be honest I can't swear that I would notice.

2) I have never experienced a loss of sound when switching from 6.1 to two-channel (this applies to changes in input from the DVD player and to changing inputs from the DVD player to a source like CD or cable TV). I also have pretty much left 6.1 on for a year now -- any 5.1 DD source gets processed as 6.1 -- so I've had lots of opportunity.

3) The surround modes all sound different, and are all different from straight pro-logic.

This is using a Model 1050 purchased in early October 2000, if I remember correctly. I hope that helps some.

#413 - 12/08/01 06:38 PM Re: Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

Ok, I can't comment on the bass management for the rear center since I haven't gone that route quite yet BUT:
Query #2: I do notice(and it's annoying sometime) when going back & forth to menu options(very noticeable in Shrek) that it cuts out the first few seconds of audio. For instance in Sleeping Beauty when the interactive game is being played it cuts off the first few seconds of the responses because it switches from 5.1 to DD. It's worth the trade-out for the quality of the sound IMHO.
Query 3#: You're right about the modes. They all sound about the same to me unless you really crank it up. But then again I never use those modes since the artists intend for their music to be listened to unaffected.
Did these few things make me wanna return my Outlaw? NO WAY! I can deal with a few quirks.
Eric

#414 - 12/09/01 02:09 AM Re: Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
My $0.02 -

1 - Have never noticed a problem with my center rear channel, but like gonk said, I don't know that I would. How much deep bass is sent to rear surrounds anyway? I can't imagine it's a lot.

2 - gonk and synthfreek seem to be responding to two different issues, and I agree with both of them. I've never experienced a total loss of sound when switching inputs like some early users reported. I have noticed, since I also leave my 6.1 on most of the time, the second or two of loss in the same scenarios synthfreek mentioned. Absolutely nothing worth getting upset over (we are talking about menu navigation and children's games).

3 - Don't ever use ambience modes. I toggle through them once in a while when I hit the wrong button and need to get back where I want to be. There seems to be subtle differences between them but I don't ever stop and listen to be sure. If you don't really ever use different modes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I just purchased my unit earlier this year and have been VERY happy with it. You get a month to try it out so if these are your only concerns, I'd give it a listen. I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Good luck!

#415 - 12/09/01 02:17 PM Re: Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
re #2: You know, I'd been blaming my DVD player for the brief silence when changing between decoding modes. Yeah, I get that too -- lasts probably a second when changing from 5.1 to 2.0. It's never really bothered me, just something I notice from time to time when entering menus on my DVD's.

re #3: I can tell a difference between Natural, Jazz, and whatever the rest of the DSP modes are called on my 1050 -- they are definitely different from Pro-Logic surround. Aside from Natural, most are generally pretty unappealing (never liked the modes on any receiver I've had, tho). Natural might be useful for TV watching, but I don't generally use it.

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited December 09, 2001).]

#416 - 12/10/01 05:34 PM Re: Sound & Vision Review (10/00)
Scott Young Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Valley Park, MO, US
Ask and you shall receive...

Thanks to you guys for the input. I also want to pass along a personlized response I got from Scott W/Outlaw Audio by email:

"Hello Scott,

Thanks for contacting the Outlaws!

The updates to the 1050 since the Sound and Vision review include bass
management to the center surround channel. Also, we have updated the
software to prevent the muting that occurs when leaving 6.1 sources. We
have also activated the music DSPs.

Thanks and regards,

Scott"

This is just what I wanted to hear!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics