I have a friend better educated in the science and history of art. There is no doubt that his education is formal and his eye is trained. Regardless of my respect for his expertise, he will never succeed in convincing me that Picasso is a genius, and that by viewing and studying this artists collective works, I will come to appreciate ‘art’ as expressed to the highest pinnacle possible or fullest range achievable.

I stubbornly persist in my ‘less qualified’ conviction, that there is no accounting for some people’s taste.
Refusing to capitulate while glibly replying that 3 yr. olds have renderings more worthy of the expense and trouble of a good frame shop.

Happy to remain in possession of (as my friend sees it) a certain ignorance and display of naivete determined to continue in my appreciation for Michaelangelo and Da Vinci while remaining leery all La psychologie de la Forme as expressed by a cubist.

I agree with Will.
We can learn, continue to educate ourselves, openly consider expert advice and adjust our choices over time with application of new tools and awareness.
I agree with Sanjay.
Regardless of training or level of expertise the choice of the viewer/listener in the science of art and music, is at the end an emotional conviction and response reflecting either that this pleases me or this does not please me.