I haven't run into that problem myself, but I haven't really tried to set things up like you describe. Neither the SL-9000 manual nor 950 manual mention any limitation such as you are encountering. There is a blurb in the SL-9000 manual , however, that hints at what you are running into. It starts around the middle of page 33, and it may be of some use. Here's a quote:

Quote:

D: Programming a Second TV, VCR, etc.
to Other Device Buttons.

This feature is used to program the remote control for two or more TVs, VCRs, etc., or to program a device into a mode with a different Device Button name. You can store the three-digit Set-Up Code number for any device into any other unused Device Button.

Example: If your home entertainment system contains two VCRs. First, using the VCR Device button, program the remote via standard set-up to operate the first VCR. Then, program your second VCR into a Device Button that is not being used, e.g., AUX using this method.

1. Turn on the device.

2. On the remote control, press the Device Button that you will assign for the device and the MUTE button, simultaneously. SET will appear in the LCD.

3. Press the Device Button that corresponds to the original device. SET will still appear in the LCD.

4. Locate the Set-Up Code number for the device from the tables found on pages (39 - 57).

5. Point the remote toward the device and press in the first Set-Up Code number. SET, followed by the Set-Up Code number will appear in the LCD.

Your device will turn off when the correct Set-Up Code number has been selected. If it does not turn off, select the next Set-Up Code number from the table, and press in that code number. When your device turns off, proceed to Step 6.

6. Press the Device Button that was selected in Step 2. to store the Set-Up Code number. PASS will flash in the LCD to confirm the programming.

The second device can now be operated by pressing the assigned Device Button and using the buttons within this mode.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review