I'm not so sure there is a "correct" placement standard. If there is, the mixing engineers and producers are not in agreement.

there is a standard for mixing and playback of multichannel music discs. sacd recommends it. chesky has good points in his argument, but his suggestions are only that and not a standard. the ITU standard is found here, if anyone is interested.
http://timefordvd.com/ref/itu.shtml

this is the set up i chose to use. i had to install a small powered sub (hidden), connected to the center channel to make it "large". the other 4 speakers are identical, and i have the room to conform to this standard. of course, the rear surrounds are moot in sacd playback. i have a new sub that eliminates double bass.

i've hardly watched a movie since receiving my 950 and completing this set up. IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD FOR WORDS. as i've posted before, if there is a better sounding preamp for this format, i haven't heard it. (sorry for using every opportunity to sing the 950's praises, but i really am THAT impressed with it).

this set up, i've found, is also very good for HT. the thx specs don't work as well, to me, and i find the itu standard more flexible and a must for multichannel music.