Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#40538 - 10/02/02 05:43 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I tried calling around to Atlantic Technology dealers in my area to see if they have, or are going to have any P2000s on display so that I might listen to one or hopefully take a quick noise measurement such as I did on my unit or Will's. They all responded that the unit is a special order item only, which they would not have on display. Geez, do we have to take _their_ word for it too?

#40539 - 10/02/02 08:29 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Sounds like Will and I are in the same boat.

Mine is very simple. I have one level of hiss that comes from all 5 speakers. I can hear the center the easiest, probably due to speaker location, and the surrounds the least, certainly due to location/tweeter height. In a quiet house, I can hear it from 12' away.

If the 950 is powered up at a digital input, the muting circuitry in on, and it is dead quiet. Once the material starts, the hiss appears.

If the 950 is powered up at an analog input, there is the hiss. Switching to a digital input does not change the hiss. Analog bypass mode also does not change the hiss at all.

#40540 - 10/02/02 08:53 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
applejelly -

add mine facts to those you (and Will) stated. My original "acted" the same way, execpt the amount of hiss was higher (hear from across the room).

A new nuance(sp) I've encountered. My reddots hiss seems to have increased since I originally received it. And stranger yet, the hiss is louder during the daytime than at night. More external interfence going on during day?

I'm still really happy with the sound I'm hearing from my 950. My hiss cannot be heard over any source material I'm playing, including those silent moments on CD's or vinyl. Mr. Anal in me simply somtimes thinks could sound be even better with less hiss.

Interesting tidbits - my sister in law has the Denon AVR 4800 with Energy Veritas 2.4's. On all her analog sinals/no source playing, at max volumn, hiss can be HEARD at +5 to 6 feet. Center channel hiss is worst.

Good Guys had the Denon AVR 5803 hooked up with the Veritas 2.4's, and SAME hiss/distance could be heard in their "high-end" room.

#40541 - 10/03/02 08:56 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

RDMB - could you explain how you're hooking in your second two channel preamp? Are you going out from the 950 into say an aux or video input on your 2 channel, and from there out to the L&R on the amp?

Do you find that this timbral change to just 2 speakers distracting with HT? I have an old Rotel pre that I'm looking to do something similar with. Thanks for any help.

#40542 - 10/04/02 12:17 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
HT,

Yes, I connect my 950 front preouts to the aux input on my preamp. I pick a volume level on my preamp and keep it there all the time. I then calibrate my 950 accordingly. This way, I dont have to play with 2 volume controls all the time.

Stereo sounds way way better to me since my preamp adds more processing and gives it that extra oomph that my 950 lacked. I don't know if this degrades the quality since I'm adding another layer but I don't notice it so it's all good.

HT actually sounds better in this setup as well (IMHO). Running my fronts as large, it adds more bass and fullness to the sound. Especially in action or explosive scenes. Sometimes, I dont even feel the need to turn on my sub. I don't notice any double bass either.

I'm quite happy with this setup. I don't blame it on the 950, it just didnt satisfy my tastes on stereo sound.

#40543 - 10/04/02 03:09 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

rmbg - yes I remember we both were discussing our reservations about the 2 channel sound on our 950's and considered returning them at the same time.

With the wife and kids out of town I'm going to experiment with this tonight. I'd be happy enough to get a decent sound in 2 channel even if the great HT sound was compromised a bit.

BTW, do you connect your CD player directly into your two channel pre, or is it still connected into the 950?

#40544 - 10/04/02 05:37 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

HT,

All my components are still connected to the 950. I actually don't touch my old preamp anymore after i set the volume, bass and treble levels on it. Let me know how you like the sound on yours with this setup.

#40545 - 10/04/02 05:51 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
charlie Offline
Desperado

So the bass and treble are something other than flat? If so that would explain a few things...

#40546 - 10/04/02 06:20 PM Re: My Outlaw Story
rmbg Offline
Gunslinger

Charlie,

Yes, the bass on my 950 is kinda weak and flat sounding for me so I needed my old preamp to do some extra processing to add more bass and imaging to my stereo sound.

#40547 - 10/05/02 12:05 AM Re: My Outlaw Story
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

RDMB - I'm nervous about have 2 a/d conversions in the loop and would prefer the analog going directly into the Rotel. But I'll try it both ways. I got a cheap Radio Shack AB switch which I'll upgrade to a more audiophile version if the AB route looks promising.

I'll report back what I find.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 299 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM