Most audiophiles will shudder in disgust when they hear that I use a guitar amp for my front channel. My amps and speakers are old, although they have been updated. The ESS AMT3 speakers have new drivers and membranes and the Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 Stereo Amp has had the 12 main tubes replaced with 6L6's to provide a more musical sound and less metalic. The Mesa can provide 4 or 8 ohm output, I am using 8 ohm. It is possible to plug just about anything directly into the Mesa bypassing any pre-processing if needed. The volume for each channel of the Mesa is about mid range 6-7 in a range of 0-10. It has a very good sound and the ability to power the power hungry speakers that I use, each of the four speakers have 2 10" woofers, a 6.5 mid, and the Heil air motion tweeter. The trim levels on the 950 are set to +5 or so on each of the fronts. My lack of hiss at any volume may be do to the speakers or possibly to the fact that I cannot get any rear sound out of the 950. Which is a problem. I am going to try another toslink today. I get 7 channel stereo but no DD in the rears. This is all plugged into a Panamax 5300, might make a difference.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited October 05, 2002).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s