Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39770 - 09/25/02 05:36 PM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From what I understand, one octave is the difference between two frequencies separated by a 2:1 ratio. So to go up one octave, you double the frequency (from 40Hz to 80Hz, or from 500Hz to 1,000Hz), and to go down one octave, you halve the frequency (from 40Hz to 20Hz, or 500Hz to 250Hz). Hence Kevin's

So what is an octave, really? The 2:1 definition doesn't really totally satisfy me, so the musical side of it may help some. Musical notes are broken into octaves, with the same "notes" repeating in each octave. The note "middle C" on a piano sounds similar (or complementary) to the "C" note that is one octave higher or lower.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39771 - 09/25/02 05:53 PM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BenjaminRigby:
[B]I hope I am not alone in this, but what exactly is an octave? I've heard talk about it, but I don't really understand what it is.

an octave is an interval of 8 diatonic tones:
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,a= 1 octave.
in hertz speak, an octave is the effect of doubling a given frequency going up in pitch or halving that frequency going down in pitch.
example: an electric bass guitar open E string is 41.2 hz.
12 frets up (1 octave higher: E, e#, F, f#, G, g#, A, a#, B, C, c#, D, d#, E...diatonic steps in CAPS) is 82.4 hz.
a low C on a pipe organ with a 32 foot long pipe is 16.35 hz. (put THAT in your svs and smoke it).

SKYFISH: very cool explanation of how to integrate your sub with the mains.
KCB is correct on paper, but i have found that in real life, bass guitar, bass tuba, some kick drums, synthesizers and pipe organs are the only instruments that reach below 60 hz. i don't like music with sub set any higher as it sounds too artificial and , as you said..the mains are better suited to handle that range, imo, you are right.

of course ht lfe is a different story.

#39772 - 09/25/02 06:14 PM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
Skyfish Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arden Hills, MN, USA
There's more stuff down low than you may think. The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz. Anyone know what the lowest note on a 5 string bass guitar is? I think on a 4 string it's about 40 Hz. I wish more bass players would switch to 5 string. I love that gut-shaking low stuff. It sounds great if done right.

#39773 - 09/25/02 06:44 PM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
sorry...i forgot, low a on a standard keyboard is 27.5. also, in my post above, there is no e#...sheesh.

if you tune your 5 string beadg, i think the low b is 30.87, and i agree, it's great.

this 950 is amazingly crystal clear, the soundfield is a new experience for me in SACD multi. but the low end is the best i have ever heard...at any price. i'm just enjoying this so much.

#39774 - 09/26/02 09:44 AM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Bossobass is correct, low note on a 5 string is Low B at 30.87 hz. Some players will extend it to a Low A. The bass of a bass drum is below that. A good musical example of this is Tomorrow's Girl's on Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad (sp?). The low note is a B flat (about 29 hz). On a system with good low extension and separation, you'll hear the bass guitar playing the B flat at 58 Hz and then drop the octave and play the B flat at 29 hz.

#39775 - 09/26/02 11:27 AM Re: Crossover setting- more bass?
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
Y ou can have speakers that go way down into the 20 hz range ( I have a pair 0f Walsh 5's rated down to 25HZ) and you still want experience the deep bass cross over at 40 as you will at 80hz. That is , if you have a real quality sub (I have the M&K ). Anything you take some of that low signal away from your sub and put it into your mains, or anywhere, thats less the sub has to work with and, its the speaker that is intended to handle these low signals. I STRONGLY believe in setting your crossovers to 80, no lower , regardless of the level of your speakers. I refer this to Home Theater applications only. Music is a totaling different story!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM