Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#39733 - 07/29/02 02:48 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I think I've noticed that RAF's comment on anything have diminished, not just comments related to the Outlaw 950.

I wasn't a beta test but I did receive a 950 in the second round of shipping. I stopped posting about the 950 because I got tired of the abusive responses from a few people.

The 950 is no longer a hot topic. Simple as that. Those who received them seem to be satisfied on the whole. Those who haven't received them appear to be suffering in frustrated silence.

#39734 - 07/29/02 02:48 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
"long time passing" ?

"Young girls have picked them every one."

#39735 - 07/29/02 04:15 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Bob: or given up and bought something else.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39736 - 07/29/02 04:47 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Geno Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Yo Merc - We're still here. However, after the beta program wrapped up, I installed my 950 beta unit in my Dad's system. They live two hours away in the cool Carolina mountains, so I haven't had a 950 to play with in my system for some time now.

On the other hand Dad, at age 75, is having the time of his life with the 950/750 combo we set up for him driving his B&W/Velodyne speakers in a 5.1 setup. Though he listens to a variety of stuff, his current favorite is the AIX Jimmy Ibbotsen/John McKuen DVD-A release. I have to admit that the clarity and detail provided by this bluegrass/acoustic disc, on his system is really impressive.

Further, the 950/750 system is quite a stretch from the HH Scott tube based amp and tuner kits he and I assembled back in the late 50's. At 24 watts from each of two channels driving Wharfdale speakers we had the hot setup! Wow, how times have changed.

You'd have a hard time now convincing Dad to part with his 950/750. Despite the minor production snafus, I remain impressed with the Outlaws and their achievements, and the unmatched(IMO)value in their products.

Regards - Gene

#39737 - 07/29/02 05:44 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

A word of explanation (not that I owe this to anyone but rumors have a way of getting out of hand and people are so far off base with this one that it begs for some comment.)

Because of a serious family illness I've greatly curtailed my activities on all forums, not just here, which is obvious, but also on the HTF which I moderate. There is absolutely no substance to the rumor (or whatever you choose to call it) that my inactivity is in any way shape or form related to any activities involving the 950, which I beta tested. And as far as I know all original messages by me regarding the Outlaw 950 (except for that infamous server crash at the beginning of this year) are still there or in the archives if one searches back far enough. It's just that, as someone else pointed out, the 950 is no longer a "hot" topic so it drops off the radar everywhere except here at the saloon which is, of course the right place to discuss it while things are worked out. Also, the business of HTF has no place here in the Outlaw Forum.

The beta test is now over and any further tweaking is in the hands of Outlaw where it belongs, not in the hands of the beta testers.

I hope that sufficiently explains things. The only thing that I find a little intriguing about this whole thread is that the original poster (who has been banned from the HTF and has chosen to sever any ties to me) was aware of my wife's situation so I find the nature of his "prodding" questions a little curious to say the least.

Whatever.

I've explained myself on this and I assume that reasonable people here will understand where I'm coming from. I refuse to be drawn into another of those endless non-debates regarding non-issues.

Case closed.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 04/17/02) Now includes Outlaw 950 and Outlaw 755

[This message has been edited by Robert A Fowkes (edited July 29, 2002).]

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#39738 - 07/29/02 06:11 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
I am sorry to hear of the re-emergence of illness in RAF's family. I'm sure all of us here on the forums wish his family the best of luck in beating the illness and we all send along our good thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

Talking about a silly pre/pro can in no way come close in importance to caring for an ill family member. We'll hold the fort until RAF is able to join us once again.
merc\'s primary system

#39739 - 07/29/02 06:12 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Very sorry to hear about the illness in the family, RAF. We know that you are not obligated to spend your waking hours at the keyboard, carrying on debates about the 950 or home theater gear in general (or anything else, for that matter), and I for one appreciate you taking the time to post your comments here. You provided us all a great service during the beta test, and we do appreciate it. All of the beta testers were helpful, but -- as you yourself pointed out before the first units started shipping -- it would make sense for other owners to start offering their two cents and providing answers to questions. I wish you and your wife the best.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39740 - 07/29/02 08:22 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Thank you RAF for your generous attendance on this and other forums. I have enjoyed reading your posts since I started this new interest. Thank you for being kind enough to explain to us your personal and private situation amongst public forums in which I’m sure you count many online friends amongst the general acquaintances and total strangers.

Although I ‘know’ you only through the disembodied society of the web, forgive me that you somehow already seem such a familiar presence. I hope its not impertinent for me to say, how troubling it is to hear your news and how very much I wish for You and Your’s, calm and strength during a difficult time.

Sincerely,
Mary S.

#39741 - 07/29/02 09:58 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

I appreciate all the kind words of support and felt I should just add one more bit of information so that you have some idea of what I'm currently going through. In re-reading my previous message I may have come off a bit curt, which wasn't my intention.

My wife had an operation on a malignant glioblastoma (brain tumor) last November and was doing as well as could be expected (probably even better than the average) until a few weeks ago. The tumor is back again (which generally happens in these cases) and further operations are not possible without excessive risk (including gamma knife alternative and similar). There will be some chemotherapy (radiation therapy was used post-op last time) but at the moment she is being attended by home hospice. Those who are familiar with such matters understand how serious the situation really is. The chemo (a new Temodar/Celebrex protocol that has shown some promise of retarding a brain tumor's growth in many cases) may buy us some time but we are definitely in "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" mode.

So you can understand why the performance of a piece of hardware is not really high on my priority list at the moment.

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 04/17/02) Now includes Outlaw 950 and Outlaw 755

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#39742 - 07/29/02 10:54 PM Re: Hmmm. Where have all the 950 beta testers gone?
bruning1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: phoenix, arizona
Robert,
Although I'm fairly new to this forum, my family's thoughts and prayers are with you. You are definately right about all this "stuff" not being that important.
God bless,
Marc

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM