Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39711 - 09/27/02 09:38 AM Re: DTS Question
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
sdurani,

To answer some of your questions:

I'm pretty happy with my Toshiba player but it is obviously dated in that I can't listen to DTS soundtracks. I'm looking for a single disc player that will support progressive scan (although I don't have a tv that supports this yet but should within 6 months), at least one of the high rez audio formats (SACD seems to have more of the types of music I like but this is not much of an issue) and mp3 decoding. What the player looks like is not to important but thinner is better due to limited rack space. I have a dedicated cd player so quality redbook playback isn't important to me.

The biggest criteria are quality soundtrack playback and picture quality.

thanks for everyones help!

#39712 - 09/27/02 11:45 AM Re: DTS Question
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Will,
Quote:
"A lot of players have hi-rez audio playback capability built in, which your 950 can handle."

I experiemented with > 44.1K into my 950, but my 950 could handle it in stereo only, as I remember. It didn't allow for processing of > 44.1K in DTS NEO or DPL 2.
Quick clarification. The "hi-rez audio" I was talking about was SACD and DVD-A, which I had just mentioned in the previous sentence, and which the "950 can handle" via its 5.1 analog inputs.

Best,
Sanjay

#39713 - 09/27/02 12:32 PM Re: DTS Question
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Bill,
Quote:
I'm looking for a single disc player that will support progressive scan (although I don't have a tv that supports this yet but should within 6 months), at least one of the high rez audio formats (SACD seems to have more of the types of music I like but this is not much of an issue) and mp3 decoding.
There are four players I can think of that satisfy the criteria above. Sony's model DVP-NS755V is a single disc, progressive scan DVD/SACD player for under $300; it will also play MP3 files you may have burned onto CD-R/RW. The other three MP-3 capable, progressive scan, single disc players were: JVC XV-SA70 (street price less than $200), Panasonic DVD-RP91 (under $500), and Toshiba SD-4700 (between $200 - $300). All three do DVD-A. The JVC has the worst warranty and DACs of the three, so you may want to skip it.

Of the three, the Panasonic has been the best reviewed, especially re video and audio quality (upsamples standard CDs). It is a solidly built machine and is a little more flexible than the competition as far as disc types go (even plays DVD-RAM).

Slightly outside your price range are DVD recorders from Pioneer and Panasonic, in case you're interested. Also, I think CEDIA is being held this weekend and there should be some announcements from consumer electronics manufacturers; you may want to wait a week to for news to trickle in so you can see what's coming down the pike before investing in a new player.

Meanwhile, check out the players I mentioned; especially the Sony and Panasonic models.

Good Luck,
Sanjay

#39714 - 09/27/02 12:43 PM Re: DTS Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's a good list. Panasonic also has the RP-82 progressive-scan / DVD-Audio player available that may be worth looking at. It's not as expensive as the RP-91, with an MSRP around $230.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39715 - 09/27/02 01:15 PM Re: DTS Question
mojoman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks guys, this info will help me get started. I do think I'll take sdurani's advice and wait to see what new comes out of CEDIA. I'm in no big hurry so waiting a few weeks isn't a big deal.

#39716 - 09/27/02 02:50 PM Re: DTS Question
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
Panasonic has the rp-62 and the sometimes hard to get rp-82. The Toshiba has updated the 4700 to the 4800, but still no update yet for the 5700.
DmC

#39717 - 09/27/02 06:24 PM Re: DTS Question
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I’ll second the recommendation to wait (if you have patience for your DTS issue). I would have done so till late fall, but got in a hurry due to another purchase.
I had picked up a Sony DVP-NS715P for under 200, (impulse moment), which was extremely capable on the video side. (12 bit / 108MHz). The pic was excellent, and I would have kept it for that alone, - unfortunately my unit proved a buggy lemon, so it went back. I followed reviews a short while when I returned it, and although the postings were few, (it was just released to market), my experience did appear to be an anomaly. I’d recommend it (after careful checking on current reviews) for the video alone if your not trying to add SACD or DVD/A. But as Sanjay pointed out the price is dropping on units with one or both extended audio formats and there are a lot of goodies out there. However, I found they still don’t make one with the DAC’s I want with the other features I would like in any all-exclusive unit at any price, a few months ago while searching.
Once I had viewed the difference Prog. makes on a 60” (faults in your source are glaring at that size) I went ahead with a buy. I kept a Panasonic RP-91, as it addressed some concerns about aspect ratios for me, was satisfactory on video, and included DVD-A. I am very content with the 91 (Killer fast forward (who cares) but hilarious to watch, being so seamless as to appear filmed at that speed). Since its technology is aging (Genesis chip), and the price has dropped, it appears a good deal relationed to its original price for a well regarded, battle tested unit. I was trying to take a closer look at the RP-82, it was still unavailable at the time, I can’t remember if it supports MP3, I would assume it would?
That said, although I do recomend the 91, if I had already owned a Progressive player, I would have passed, (letting the price drop more, if I had decided for it) until I at least saw what the fall had to offer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM