Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39683 - 09/18/02 11:00 PM NEO Surround Mode
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: punta gorda, florida, usa
Have 7 speakers +ub set up. Tried using the Neo mode but cannot get it to come on. Tried it on regular satellite, DTS-ES Dvd, Dolby digital dvd, 5.1 satellite. I can engage the cirrus mode, dts, dts-es, dolby, dolby ex. Where is the Neo mode??? Also the manual shows 5 & 7 channel stereo, can't find them either? But most important the Neo mode.

#39684 - 09/19/02 12:38 AM Re: NEO Surround Mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
NEO:6 and Stereo 5/7 will only work on two-channel inputs. Try an audio CD, you should be able to turn them on then.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#39685 - 09/19/02 03:56 AM Re: NEO Surround Mode
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I think that 5 & 7 stereo only work if your center speaker is activated in the input config menu also.

#39686 - 09/19/02 06:43 AM Re: NEO Surround Mode
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

According to the manual the Neo 6 works with digital & analog. 2 channel matrix & 5.1. Have all 7 speakers on but cannot get Neo to engage at all.

#39687 - 09/19/02 08:03 AM Re: NEO Surround Mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, NEO:6 will work with digital or analog inputs, but the signal needs to be two-channel (analog or digital PCM) for NEO:6 to work. The manual may be a little misleading there (they say "mode can produce the rear surround information from a 5.1 source" -- but what they mean is that it can automatically create rear surround information, but the "5.1 source" has to be the 5.1 source that NEO:6 created from the two-channel input). Try this quote from DTS Online :

Quote:
DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder. It will take any two-channel source and expand it into five or six channels, depending on the user’s speaker layout. Two-channel sources include VHS tapes, broadcast televi-sion, stereo CDs and DVDs. DTS Neo:6 provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 also decodes a center-surround channel from Extended Surround matrix soundtracks.

NEO:6 will not work with Dolby 2.0 audio (which is what you'll get from your DVD player, digital cable box, or satellite box when they are connected via a digital cable). 5/7 Stereo is the same way. (Just tried both using my digital cable box to confirm it.)

------------------

#39688 - 09/19/02 02:07 PM Re: NEO Surround Mode
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
gonk,
Quote:
The manual may be a little misleading there (they say "mode can produce the rear surround information from a 5.1 source" --

Try this quote from DTS Online: DTS Neo:6 also decodes a center-surround channel from Extended Surround matrix soundtracks.

I think both those quotes are referring to something other than 2-channel sources; they're talking about extracting the surround back channel from properly encoded DTS-ES Matrix mixes (ES = Extended Surround), which are technically 5.1 discrete channels, as opposed to DTS-ES Discrete mixes which are true 6.1.

When the surround back channel was first introduced to home theatres, both THX Surround EX and DTS-ES Matrix used Dolby Pro Logic decoding to extract the additional surround channel that had been matrixed in. Since then, some things have changed: THX Surround EX still uses Pro Logic, but DTS has mandated that their Neo:6 decoding be used on ES-Matrix encoded soundtracks, and licensees of Dolby Digital EX are allowed to use either old Pro Logic or PL II (I think most manufactureres are using the latter, at least I hope they are).

Having said that, I agree with you that the wording of the Neo:6 descriptions are confusing; both in the Outlaw manual and at DTS Online.

Best,
Sanjay

#39689 - 09/19/02 02:59 PM Re: NEO Surround Mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Excellent point. So, in theory it may be possible to use NEO:6 with DTS-ES Matrix soundtracks (which are very few and far between -- the only DTS-ES disc that I have is Gladiator, and the 950 identifies it as ES Discrete), but in that case it may show up as being DTS-ES (with NEO:6 being used in the background). Likewise, DTS-ES when used with standard DTS soundtracks (which I have done with the 950, so I know it works) may actually be DTS plus NEO:6 to produce the surround back. I hadn't thought of it that way...

------------------

#39690 - 09/19/02 04:01 PM Re: NEO Surround Mode
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
So, in theory it may be possible to use NEO:6 with DTS-ES Matrix soundtracks...but in that case it may show up as being DTS-ES (with NEO:6 being used in the background).

Well, it's not only possible to use Neo:6 with DTS-ES soundtracks, it's a requirement! Whenever you see the ES logo these days, you can be sure that Neo:6 technology is being used to extract the surround back channel. Like I said, it wasn't a requirement originally but it is now if you want to license DTS-ES.

And speaking of licensing DTS technologies; from what I've read, in order to display a DTS logo on a reciever or pre-pro, the manufacturer has to take on all DTS technologies (with the possible exception of DTS 96/24). For example: with PL II and Logic 7 already included, the last thing the MC-12 needed was another matrix decoder for 2-channel sources. However, in order to license DTS-ES, Lexicon HAD to include both versions (music & film) of Neo:6. BTW, I know some of the above is off topic, but I find some of this behind-the-scenes intrigue endlessly fascinating.
Quote:
(which are very few and far between -- the only DTS-ES disc that I have is Gladiator, and the 950 identifies it as ES Discrete)
All DTS-ES Discrete soundtracks are also DTS-ES Matrix soundtracks; i.e., even on 6.1 channel soundtracks, the surround back channel is still matrixed into the left & right surround channels for backwards compatibility. However, that doesn't always work the other way around: an ES-Matrix soundtrack doesn't neccessarily mean it is ES-Discrete. In fact, out of all ES labeled soundtracks out there, only something like 15 are EX-Discrete.
Quote:
Likewise, DTS-ES when used with standard DTS soundtracks (which I have done with the 950, so I know it works) may actually be DTS plus NEO:6 to produce the surround back. I hadn't thought of it that way...
Yes: whenever you engage ES decoding, whether that particular DTS DVD (or DTS CD or LaserDisc) is ES encoded or not, the surround back channel is being extracted using Neo:6. And actually, on a few processors - like the Anthem AVM-20 - if the ES soundtrack isn't flagged and the processor doesn't automatically go to DTS-ES mode, you have to manually switch it over: but instead of pushing a button marked "ES" or "dts-ES" or anything like that, you have to select Neo:6 (even though it seems counter-intuitive at first to choose a matrix decoder mode for a 5.1 soundtrack).

Anyway, most of the time, back-channel extraction is user-transparent and you're never really aware which matrix decoder is being used with which 6-channel mode. I mean, when your 950 doesn't detect EX encoding on a 5.1 soundtrack, you don't push the PL II button (even though that may in fact be the technology being used). Also keep in mind that you're using only one aspect of Neo:6; i.e., the "front half". Aside from giving you surround channels, all matrix decoders take the two main channels and extract a centre channel up front; it is that part (and that part only) of the matrix decoder that is being used for back channel extraction.

Best,
Sanjay

#39691 - 09/19/02 05:14 PM Re: NEO Surround Mode
steve1173 Offline
Gunslinger

I watched Rush Hour 2 which is Dts-es, tried to get the Neo6 to work with it but ng. All I could get was either Dts or Dts-es. Am I doing something wrong.

#39692 - 09/19/02 05:41 PM Re: NEO Surround Mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Nope, you're fine, Steve. Sanjay's point is that whenever we use DTS-ES, the "ES" surround back channel is being produced using the NEO:6 algorithm (much like Dolby EX uses PL II to produce the surround back channel). So when you switched to DTS-ES, the 950 was using NEO:6 to generate the surround back channel -- it just doesn't show us what it's doing. The NEO:6 mode will only be available for use with two-channel PCM material (any stereo analog input or digital audio from a CD player).

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM