Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#39471 - 08/30/02 09:14 PM Re: Problem Solved?
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Why do I have to be kidding? If outlaw tells you not to swap out your unit because you won't develop the problem if you don't have it now, and they turn out to be wrong, you think you should just be stuck with a bad unit because you trusted them?

You're the one that's got to be kidding.

brianca..

#39472 - 08/30/02 11:40 PM Re: Problem Solved?
JeffreyMercado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Queens Village
After reading these posts particularly Smart Little Lenas' I thought I better check this out again. Just to make sure I do not have it. So I put it to tape and raised the volume to +10 and sure enough a loud hiss. Well I have been enjoying my 950 for months now and have never noticed it. I even moved on to other forums for a while because this whole issue was so annoying to read about. Then I made the mistake that Smart Little Lenas' husband said she would. I put it on a source component, cable. My wife jumped 6' and my ears are still ringing. Anyway I guess I will send in an Email to swap it out. I sure do not like the whole refurbished vibe but I guess it is better than waiting 2 to 3 weeks.

#39473 - 08/31/02 08:51 AM Re: Problem Solved?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
John Morris quote:
"Serge: One of the toughest things I've been trying to do is to describe what "nothing" sounds like. Revealing is accurate to the point that whatever you put into the 950, it passes on to your amp. This preamp adds no grain, no hiss, no sonic character that can be called 950-like. It doesn't add an edgy solid state or tube-like quality to the audio. It adds Nothing more, and nothing less. It is like trying to describe what perfectly still, perfectly clean air smells like... "
Wow. Another groupie. Teehee. blush

minuteman: Although I am honored that you took the immense time to look up one of my many hundreds of posts on the 950, it might help us if you list the date for this post and that way, we can better discern exactly which 950, of the many I've had, I was referring to when I made this wonderful eloquently descriptive statement.

If you were a bit more diligent in your search, you'd find the posts where I spoke of the hiss I could hear from the 950 unit #3, the final shipping 950. Then again though, that wouldn't have properly allowed you to be a nasty little boy. Bend over now, it is time for your spanking.

Quote:
It looks like Merc has NO hiss in his unit , but I suspect they will give him a new one anyway as he's whined enough.
Minuteman: Like I just said, next time, do some more thorough research before you make incorrect statements about someone else. Trying to make others look bad by lieing about them just makes you look bad. Next time, if you are unsure, just send me an email at merc@kgjack.com and ask. That way you can be sure you will know the truth.

Although I have some very slight hiss, it is something that doesn't bother me and is something I could live with. The hiss I get from the 950 is about the same hiss I could hear from many other units that I've had during my life, and is only audible when you place your ear near the tweeter of the speakers. However, if any of those other companies produced a hiss free unit with better noise floor and offered to replace it for free, I'd have taken them up on their offer as well. Remeber, I will serve no whine before its' time.

I find it very strange that at a time when we should be rejoicing in a hiss-free, lower noise floor, tonally wonderful 950... some folks decide to attack others. Heck folks, let's smile and be happy... we're all getting perfect(hopefully)Outlaw 950 preamps!

------------------
Take Care,
merc
Edited to add email address.

[This message has been edited by merc (edited August 31, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#39474 - 08/31/02 10:48 AM Re: Problem Solved?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
"Why do I have to be kidding? If outlaw tells you not to swap out your unit because you won't develop the problem if you don't have it now, and they turn out to be wrong, you think you should just be stuck with a bad unit because you trusted them?

You're the one that's got to be kidding."

No I'm not. You can't really expect them to hold this open for a year (how bought for as long as you own the 950/or 5 years whatever is longer).

Lets say you upgrade and introduce a new amp into your set-up, and you get hiss/or a hum/ or somthing else. Do you think its reasonable to blame the 950 for contributing this "new" noise? What if its the amp? Should that maker automatically replace your new amp (post any return period) cause of the noise.

Same thing for speakers, cables, etc. Sorry, I just dont buy this one. Future upgades sans 950 dont apply in my book.

#39475 - 08/31/02 12:12 PM Re: Problem Solved?
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Darn Merc, you took all the fun out of it. You're so cute when you get all ruffled and blustery. And BTW, there was no time involved. There are dozens if not hundreds of similar posts of yours leading people merrily down the garden path. It just took a minute really.
I AM glad the 950 will start shipping because I smoked my Denon last night. Up until now, it made perfectly acceptable prepro. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited August 31, 2002).]

#39476 - 08/31/02 12:24 PM Re: Problem Solved?
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
I AM glad the 950 will start shipping because I smoked my Denon last night.
Minuteman: Dang! Sorry to hear that. I hope it still was under warranty....
merc\'s primary system

#39477 - 08/31/02 12:45 PM Re: Problem Solved?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Merc, your farther down the garden path than me. Logic tells me that those with hissy 950’s already cover such a broad range of setups: speaker brand/sensitivity, interconnects, amps etc. If you don’t have the hiss it’s not there! Another point, (one of your test units had it / the others did not).
WHA DA ya think?

Ouch, ouch, ouch Minuteman! What brand of rolling papers did you use?

#39478 - 08/31/02 01:29 PM Re: Problem Solved?
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:

No I'm not. You can't really expect them to hold this open for a year (how bought for as long as you own the 950/or 5 years whatever is longer).

So you don't expect this to be covered under the 5 year warranty even though it's a known issue?

brianca

#39479 - 08/31/02 03:01 PM Re: Problem Solved?
Davis S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chino Hills,CA,USA
No I would not.

#39480 - 08/31/02 06:24 PM Re: Problem Solved?
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

if manufacturing and design errors are not covered by the warranty, what is?

brianca..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM