This is in many ways similar to the behavior on my regular 950 (not exchanged yet, as I'm trying to see if I can wait a little bit and make an exhange for a brand new factory model with the fixes built in) as it will not remember certain modes.

As one example, I put another DTS DVD into the player on the DVD input. The last disc was set to play DTS-ES matrix, which it did (although, not flagged as such-- I manually set it). The opening menu comes up with sound in Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1. I select the DTS track on the disc and hit play. The decoder goes back into normal DTS 5.1 mode without DTS-ES decoding (even though that was the last DTS setting I used), and I have to manually force it back to DTS-ES mode (I like some non-ES encoded action movies with ES engaged for a better soundfield). Obviously, if the disc is flagged for ES there is no problem.

It's also an annoyance if I want the 5.1 flying disc DTS intro in DTS-ES matrix (sounds great) and the movie that way too since many times the studio will start with that intro, then switch to DD 5.1 for the THX intro, and then go back to DTS 5.1 for the feature. Meaning I have to manually switch it to ES mode twice.

The same thing happens with Dolby Digital in EX mode, where it doesn't remember from source to source that I had EX engaged for 5.1 Dolby Digital material unless the disc was already flagged for it.

Now, on my neighbor's Denon 3802 you have a user selectable 6.1/7.1 mode that allows you to use DD EX (their version of it) or DTS-ES matrix decoding all the time if you want for DD or DTS 5.0/5.1 tracks if there is no flag present on the disc. You then do nothing. If it detects Dolby Digital or DTS in 5.0 or 5.1 it pops the decoder into the corresponding 6.1 matrix format. I find that rather handy instead of having to manually go back to that mode at the start of the movie leaving a split second break in the soundtrack like with the Model 950.

Just a suggestion for any future surround processor...

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited September 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited September 10, 2002).]