Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#39201 - 08/28/02 03:10 PM Re: 950 arrival time
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

whose primary function is not to impress women... or business associates or whatever

Wait a minute, I thought that was the primary function of a pre/pro...

#39202 - 08/28/02 03:51 PM Re: 950 arrival time
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Whether the difference in performance is worth the difference in cost is a matter each buyer must evaluate for him or herself.

I agree. Also, I would say the same thought would apply regarding the features found in each particular processor.

#39203 - 08/28/02 09:18 PM Re: 950 arrival time
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
A number cruncher is basically a number cuncher, whether Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Intel, or anyone else.

If you really believed that, why not buy a $500 receiver and use that as a pre/pro?

If you say that there's no or not much difference between the Outlaw at $950 and pre/pros costing more than $1500. Why would there be any more difference in a receiver at $500? You could save a lot of money that way.

Plus, due to economies of scale, a receiver at $500 actually might have *more* engineering hours put into its design. (I.e., they sell a lot more of them, so the R&D overhead per unit is a lot less. Plus the many common components that would be in units just below or just above that particular unit in a company's product line.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#39204 - 08/28/02 10:29 PM Re: 950 arrival time
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
If you really believed that, why not buy a $500 receiver and use that as a pre/pro?

Hey, today's $500.00 receiver probably outperforms a $1500.00 unit of a few years ago!!!

There is a downward threshold to anything built for a certain price point, below which overall quality and reliability suffers. The quality of the switches, jacks, and controls for instance. Also, a really cheap receiver cannot afford to put as powerful a DSP chip into its design, therefore the processing is compromised by having to make do with less processing power. Just listen to the "boingy-chruch" reverb settings that some receivers have. They are trying to make shortcuts in the processing power devoted to what is a rather complicated process. Same thing with computer program plug-ins for DSP for your soundcard (or my digital workstation) Some processes take 2 or 3 DSP chips to get the reverb or other effects right. The Outlaw 950 probably is pretty close to that "sweet spot" where the quality of the components is good enough, yet there is little "fat" wasted on cosmetics. Also, notice they don't even attempt to do "room simulations" which cuts DSP overhead (and are pretty useless IMHO) and would probably sound pretty crappy anyway in a unit costing under $1000.00.

I'm sure you know all this already...

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited August 28, 2002).]

#39205 - 08/29/02 05:12 AM Re: 950 arrival time
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

You just contradicted yourself dude.

Quote:
Also, a really cheap receiver cannot afford to put as powerful a DSP chip into its design, therefore the processing is compromised by having to make do with less processing power.

So a "number cruncher" isn't just a "number cruncher."

#39206 - 08/29/02 09:22 AM Re: 950 arrival time
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
I don't know about y'all, but the 6 channel Aragon Aurum Class A preamp that is part of tha Aragon Soundstage that I installed yesterday most certainly does not sound like a Casio!
The only person that I'm out to impress is myself. I listen to music, and/or, movies everyday. Couldn't wait for the Outlaws any longer. The only thing I have to wait on now is the upgrade to some newer formats and 24/196 chips. With the way this unit sounds and functions right now it will be an extremely pleasurable wait.
$1700.00 on Ubid. Incredible deal. I spoke with Steve at Mondial/Aragon. With the release of the StageOne, they sold all of the remaining 2001 Soundstages to Ubid. I couldn't be more satified right out of the box. I'm just wondering how much better it will sound with a little time on it.
I'll be auctioning-off my spot on the waiting list. (Just kidding).
Good luck.
Mix

[This message has been edited by MixFixJ (edited August 29, 2002).]

#39207 - 08/29/02 01:28 PM Re: 950 arrival time
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
Y
So a "number cruncher" isn't just a "number cruncher."

I was referring to FUNCTION, not the relitive POWER of a DSP. The DSP in a $199 unit HAS THE SAME FUNCTION AND CRUNCHES NUMBERS the same way as that in a $4,000.00 unit, the only difference is in scale. BUT given sufficient DSP power allocoated to the job at hand, that $199 unit COULD in theroy decode DD as well as the $4000.00 one.

#39208 - 08/29/02 04:14 PM Re: 950 arrival time
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Mix- I might just have to take a look-see for one of those Aragons. I have two Acurus A200x3's now, and that would make for a nice setup...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 201 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM