http://www.hothousepro.com/products/spec-sheets/sbx.html

this is the closest thing to true "bass management" i have found.

there isn't a pre/pro available at any price that offers this kind of flexibility. so, i agree that that the option should be there to send the .1 info unaltered to an outboard unit like this one (or multiple units that comprise the equivalent processing options) to the subwoofer.

this specific chain of signal processing, along with proper room acoustic treatment, not only is true "bass management", but will enhance ANY system's ability to reproduce the source material (given the sub and amp are of sufficient quality).

the reality is that the sbx coupled with a good sub and amplifier costs in the 4k range.
there is simply no way a $400 cube with an integral plate amp fed a signal from a pre/pro's "bass managed" sw out will even approach a correct balance.

this is why i agree with charlie when he prefers a good set of mains with the sub off to an inferior mains/sub setup. (and...thanx for helping me to understand that)

on the other side of that, i know, by comparative listening, that a properly managed mains/sub setup is better...hugely better...than mains alone.

i only wish that the pre/pro manufacturers would stop using the "bass management" term altogether as it is misleading and confusing the whole issue.

...sorry if the address at the top isn't a clicky-thingy...i'm not very technical with links and such.