Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#38869 - 07/31/02 12:33 PM Re: Hiss revisited
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
My hiss is out to seating distance, but analogue only.

Not a problem to date, so I am perfectly patient. I just now acquired DVD-A capability. And had a rather humorous experience last weekend at the local mega-store with 2 employees, trying to explain to me, that what I was “really asking for” were musicals on DVD.
A passerby (an engineer and A/V enthusiast) and I spent an enjoyable 20-min, talking gear and new technology, when he overheard my predicament.
So, - I still don’t own a DVD-A disc, and have lots to keep me busy…I can wait.

#38870 - 07/31/02 02:44 PM Re: Hiss revisited
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I think they could have named it better. If you ask for SACD, nobody's going to think you're referring to video CDs. But when you say "DVD Audio," all too many people think you're talking about the audio track of a DVD-V disc. Only people who have heard of DVD-A know what you're talking about. It makes it much easier to explain SACD to somebody who hasn't heard of it before.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#38871 - 07/31/02 03:08 PM Re: Hiss revisited
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Oh I tried throwing, "you know, - like SACD" into the explanation. Not a blip on the radar.
I had no idea I was so cutting edge. What was really funny was the first tagged person I asked, tried walking me towards the concerts etc on DVD's. When I realized where we were headed, I didn't want to make him walk ...all the way over there... So I said, - explained - , that I knew what I was asking for, were not located in that section. So he stopped and said "I'm sorry I don't understand what your asking. But I think those are what you want. Go ask the front." I said, ‘Thanks a bunch, -okay’, and after talking to 2 guys there, One said,...'I know what your talking about...I'll get somebody. He’ll come find you." Well, they sent the first guy back to find me, - he fussed at me all the way, saying, "I TOLD you that’s what they were." SO I walked meekly all the way there with him said, 'Thanks...I'll just browse a bit'. When the irritated employee walked off, that’s when the engineer, came up laughing.

#38872 - 07/31/02 06:28 PM Re: Hiss revisited
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Maybe next time you just want to leave out "DVD-A" completely (to avoid confusing the drones) and just ask for SACD. They're more likely to admit they don't know where that is, if they don't, and try to find someone who knows. And chances are that DVD-A will be in the same section.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 488 @ Yesterday at 10:00 AM