Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#396 - 12/07/01 01:19 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
With progressive scan it's a definite that you want component over S-video -- you'll only be able to get the progressive scan video through component (something that I don't think anyone's pointed out in this thread).

#397 - 12/07/01 01:25 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Thanks gonk! I stole your "secret" code and pasted it into a word doc. Now I have it forever handy on my hard drive in my Outlaw folder! Next link I post will be nice and clean.

#398 - 12/17/01 11:54 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
dbissett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston TX
All the responses have been helpful....I've got the 1050 set up and ran S-video direct from the DVD to a 36" Toshiba screen and the picture is excellent. Component might do a bit better but this is fine. The pic is so good that I hate to watch TV now through the regular video connection to the monitor which the other sources run on. The set-up was a challenge...I got the 1050 figured out and it's actually pretty friendly but God the cables!!! My fronts are all KEF's, and I've been experimenting with a set of MBQuart Balcony II rear speakers but haven't yet watched anything with a lot of sound through the rears, and without a way to isolate the rears it's hard to really evaluate the speakers there. I'm going to audition a pair of KEF's in the rear as well, and possibly pick up a SPL meter because my current fronts/rears are pitched differently and it's hard to balance them by ear. Also need to save some bucks for a sub!!! Anyhow, the sound is very good and actually impressed my wife, tempering somewhat her "do we really need this?" attitude. And the 1050 makes beautiful music as well, as others confirmed before I decided on it. Couldn't be happier with the unit. (I almost forgot.....the reference I made to recording in my first post was mistaken. The manual makes a reference to running analog AND digital audio cables if you want to record a source like a DVD, but when I talked to Scott about setting up the unit he explained that recording of DVD's isn't reality, so with that option moot the direct S-video connection made the most sense...he also said they'd delete this erroneous example in future manuals (so as not to fool naive blokes like me - g).

dave

[This message has been edited by dbissett (edited December 18, 2001).]

#399 - 12/18/01 11:03 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Great! So glad you got it all set up and running. I completely understand the "do we really need this" line, heard it many times myself in the planning and install stages. Anyway, an SPL is one of the best things you can buy to get it all dialed in properly. Definite improvement in quality over by ear.

As for something to audition the rears, may I suggest you buy/rent/borrow a copy of Star Wars Episode 1. Excellent use of surrounds there from start to finish, including the rear center.

Anyway, congratulations and hope you enjoy it.

#400 - 01/21/02 01:05 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
jgambino Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: worcester,MA
Dave,
I came across your post and wondered how you liked the sound of the Outlaw 1050 with your Kef's. I've got Kef Q55's for fronts and will get the Q95c and Q15's for the rear and the Outlaw is one of my choices for a receiver along with Denon avr2802 so your in put on the Outlaw would be apreciated
Thanks,
Joe
Kef Reference 203 R/L, Reference 202c center, Kef Q15 surrounds,Kef Q100 rear surrounds, Velodyne VLF-1012 sub, Krell Showcase pre/pro, Krell 2250 Amplifier, Lexicon CX-5 amplifier, Sanyo Z5 projector, Oppo BD-83SE Blu-Ray player, Luxman PD121 turntable, PS Audio GCPH phono preamp

#401 - 01/29/02 12:04 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
dbissett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston TX
Sorry for the late reply...I just saw your question and, hey, we've had a baby here so I've been out of touch! Anyway, I have no complaints about the 1050 and my KEF setup. True to KEF form I get great midrange, and bass going to the Klipsch sub from the 1050 is solid. What I do notice is that the high end can sound somewhat contained or remote on some music tracks. It's not as open as I'd like above the midrange, but I've read reviews of KEF speakers that have pointed out this slightly constrained high end so I don't think it's a fault of the 1050. Different cabling might have an effect on this, I don't know, but I can't change this since my speaker wire (Monster 16 gauge)is in the walls. I've found the 1050 flexible and user friendly, with more than adequate power for the 20x18' room here. And for the price I don't know of anything that can touch it.

Dave

#402 - 01/29/02 09:00 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
jgambino Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: worcester,MA
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. The 1050 sounds like what I want in a receiver and I'm glad to get input from another Kef owner since I can't test it before buying. My room is much smaller ( 13x14) so it should be no problem with power.
Joe
Kef Reference 203 R/L, Reference 202c center, Kef Q15 surrounds,Kef Q100 rear surrounds, Velodyne VLF-1012 sub, Krell Showcase pre/pro, Krell 2250 Amplifier, Lexicon CX-5 amplifier, Sanyo Z5 projector, Oppo BD-83SE Blu-Ray player, Luxman PD121 turntable, PS Audio GCPH phono preamp

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM