Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3855 - 04/07/03 10:06 PM 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
chrisser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
First, thanks for the great info on this site - great to see a bunch of folks excited about a product (reminds me of my Tivo early adopter days!).

I'm a newbie...

I just learned about Outlaw products, and am thinking about buying a 1050 because I want to purchase a good surround system to take advantage of DVDs. Also it sounds like it's well featured, plenty powerful (I live in an apt), sounds clean and great, and is well priced.

My setup...

Currently I have an early 90's top-o-the-line Sony ES receiver. It sounds great, but I hate how complicated it is. I like stuff simple. I also have a low-end Sony DVD player, Numark CDN88 dual-CD player/Technics mixer set-up, and Martin-Logan Script electrostatic speakers I use as mains (fyi, they have a 150W max input). I don't have any surrounds right now.

My listening prefs...

I listen to 2-channel stereo audio (from my DJ setup) primarily. I also like to listen to it LOUD. I haven't gotten that into DVDs yet, but have always wanted to hear the separation and soundscape that 5.1 (and 6.1) will allow - thus my interest in the 1050. However, my system is primarily for listening to electronic music.

My questions...

1) Given my listening prefs, should I even be focusing on the 1050? It sounds like a lot of people are really into it, but isn't it a little old now? Since I listen to two-channel primarily should I just be happy with my old high-quality ES receiver?

2) I bought the white Martin-Logan Scripts cuz they not only sound amazing, but they look it too. I don't really want to buy more M-Ls (bulky and expensive and I live in an apt). Can anyone suggest some smallish (preferably white and low cost) surrounds and centers to go with my Scripts? If there isn't a good fit, should I just sell the Scripts and start over? (I remember really liking Klipsch before I bought the Scripts.) What about Cambridge Soundworks' MC50?

3) This is probably in the manual, but can someone tell me how you adjust trim so that my mains will get more power/signal than the surrounds? I'm thinking I won't want to hear my stereo CD music out of the surrounds - is this configurable by source? And now for a REALLY dumb question, is there any way to bridge sources to get more power to go to the mains?

4) Lastly does anyone have a used one to sell? C'mon, I KNOW you want to upgrade and sell me that perfect condition 1050 you bought last month...

------------------
Thanks!
Chris

#3856 - 04/07/03 10:25 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
chrisser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I forgot to mention that I watch a lot of Tivo Series2/digital cable TV. Does that mean that the 1050 doesn't help out much since it's Prologic? Sorry to be such an electronics nerd.

#3857 - 04/07/03 10:29 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
chrisser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I also forgot to mention that I run a pretty good Monitor subwoofer. The Scripts lack much bass, so the Monitor more than makes up for it.

#3858 - 04/08/03 11:41 AM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Umm...Wow...that's a lot to think about.

ESLs such as your Martin Logans crave power. The 1050 puts out a respectable 65 watts per channel. It's nice but I think you're going to be wanting more power than that. This leaves you with a few options. Buy the 1050 and add a M-200 for each of your front two-channels. Or, buy a 1050 and add a 755 or 770 amp. Or, buy a 950/755 or 770 combo. In other words, decide on a pre-amp, add an external amp, and move on from there.

I find the 1050 to be extremely simple to use. It's almost plug and play but not quite. Once it's in your possession, using it and the excellent manual to set it up becomes very easy. In fact, just look at the manual on Outlaw's site for some preliminary information on the 1050's capabilities. The 1050 is getting a little older but it still has all the neccesary connections for basic home theater watching.

Speakers are a personal preference type thing. I've seen some posts on this board of people combining Martin-Logans with Paradigm speakers with good results. I think you would really have to go out and listen to various speaker companies to decide if you like the way they sound. Bring some of your favorite music and have some fun. The center channel sound would be the most difficult to blend with your MLs but I think you could find a decent match. If you can't find a good blend, selling the MLs might not be a bad option.

The 1050 powers speakers the way it wants to. Umm...that's the best way I can describe it. There's really no way for a user to decide how much amplifier power each channel gets nor is there a way to bridge channels together. If you're going for surround, just step in and go all the way!!
You can select on the 1050 if you want to listen to an input in stereo or in surround. It isn't stuck in surround the whole time. The 1050 has a nice crossover system built in for good integration of your mains with a subwoofer even in "2-channel" mode.

I really like my 1050, in case you couldn't tell. A B-stock unit goes for pretty cheap from the factory so take a look!

#3859 - 04/08/03 12:53 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
chrisser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Wow - thanks for all the info. I'll probably get the 1050 to minimize my investment right now and add on as necessary. I agree that the M-Ls crave power, but I don't think I have to provide all of it at the source. The Scripts are self-powered (you plug 'em in), I believe so you don't have to have monster amps.

http://www.martinlogan.com/script_speaker.html

I guess I'm most worried about which surrounds to buy. I don't have a trained enough ear to know what would sound good with them. Any links or places I can get more educated about how to pair speakers from different brands?

I like the 1050/2M200 idea, but my Scripts are only supposed to handle 200W. Does that mean I can't hook it up at all, or I just have to be careful at loud volumes so I don't fry them?

Chris

#3860 - 04/08/03 02:15 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
Since you are concerned with the technology becoming outdated. I'd suggest seperates. That way when whatever secedes Pro Logic II and the other present DSPs comes around you can replace the pre-pro and keep the same amp.

#3861 - 04/08/03 04:12 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Scripts have power to make the ESL panel work, but that power is not amplification. Martin-Logans are notoriously power-hungry (I've got a buddy who bought a pair of Aeons and had them at home for over a week without hearing them because his Classe amp hadn't arrived and he didn't trust his Yamaha receiver to drive them).

A more powerful amp provides headroom -- when at high volume, it won't begin to hit its limit and start throwing "garbage" at your speakers (garbage that can damage speakers). As several other, more knowledgeable souls around here have said before, underpowered amps can more readily cause speaker damage than overpowered. You still have to be careful at higher volumes, but the danger point will likely be somewhere around the same point that you have to scrape your eardrums off the floor anyway. The Model 200's (200W each) would very nicely drive the Scripts -- and they would be a first step into separates if you decide to go that way later.

There was a recent post from someone running ML's for mains and center along with Paradigm ADP170 surrounds. Since I'm a bit biased (I have Paradigm Studio/ADP's as my surrounds), I'd certainly recommend that as a possibility.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3862 - 04/08/03 04:54 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Here's a site I use to get published speaker reviews:
www.ecoustics.com

If you want user opinion try:
www.audioreview.com

Both sites will give you a good starting point for speaker ideas. Ecoustics.com also has various helpful articles listed. Company names to look for, to start with, include Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Axiom, Polk, NHT and M&K. There are probably a few more in the price range that I forgot about.

#3863 - 04/08/03 07:32 PM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
chrisser Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Again, thanks. I've heard of most of those names, but I can't put a lot of money into the speakers right now. I'd probably get some interim ones until i'm willing to spend more. With that in mind, are there some fairly-well respected small (and white?) speakers that might work? Boston Acoustics? Vincent Gallo? I know now, not to say the B word.

#3864 - 04/09/03 09:36 AM Re: 1050 great for 2 chan? & Surround spkr sugg? & Setup ?'s & Got a used one to sell?!?!
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
I cannot speak to how they will blend with Martin-Logans, but you might look into the Paradigm Cinema Series for small interim surrounds. I have been happy with my 1050 and Cinema 90s, though I use them with a subwoofer. They are pretty cool looking, too and come in black, silver, or white.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Cinema/Cinema_Series.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM