"after receiving a fixed unit that the second unit didn't sound as good - though it wasn't the final fix that Outlaw is now offerning".

This was definitely not the case with the second unit I received. I had it in my system for about 2 weeks (while my first sat idle next to it), and found no differences in sound quality. Vinyl and cd's thru bypass, and HT sounded equally as good as my first unit. The "hiss" in the second unit was also the equal to the hiss in the first. HT Crazed is right, it was not the final fix that Oulaw is now offering. Hence, I had several pleasent conversations with Scott and Mike, boxed up the second unit and sent it back.

"If they say the new 950's have improved specs, and a lower noise floor, then almost everybody with an old one will want the update. Or the Outlaws can say, as they have, that if you haven't noticed a hiss problem in the 950 you have, you probably don't need the update".

Didnt they really say "if you haven't noticed a hiss problem in the 950 you have, you probably won't". Meaning it would not develop over time.

Furthermore, they have already indicated (via us registering email, etc) that anyone wanting to swap out their original unit with a "New" one will be able to do so. Do you believe they will not honor this? I don't get the impression they operate this way. In my phone converstations with Scott, I've never felt he was handing me a line or something, and I don't think he will start now.

"Is the fixed 950 a better, or lesser, unit than the original 950? Without this type of info, how can those of us with livable hiss make any kind of informed decision as to whether we continue to live with this hiss or opt for the new unit?"

Easy - one, I seriously doubt they have go backward in quality on the 950. Does this even make sense to anyone?? Another thread had the same "thought", and the thought simply leaves me perplexed.

Anyway, most importantly #2, as they have said several times, have them send (on their expense) you a new "fixed" unit, place it into your system, and listen to it. If it sounds better (less hiss, etc) than the original, box the original up and send it back (at their expense again) to them. If its no better, send the second one back (on them) and tactfully discuss your options with Scott. At this point, I seriously doubt they plan on making anyone keep their 950 (even the original one) if they are not happy with its performance.