Well, as far as best library of games goes, right now that's the PS2 hands-down. There are so many great games for that platform, it's unbelievable.

I've heard that PS2 doesn't and won't support HDTV, but I don't know that for a fact. I do know that you can connect it to a computer monitor and it's capable of 1280x1024 resolution, so I don't know why it can't output 720p.

There are games for it that can be put into an anamorphic widescreen mode, such as GT3.

The Game Cube has a lot of arcade-style games for it, and I bought it because it's cheap and had some games that I want. In particular, I think you find more FPS games for GC than for the PS2. I also think the graphics on the GC are more realistic than the PS2.

I've never used an XBox, but from what I've heard, it's got a lot of CPU power but doesn't use it as efficiently as the other two platforms -- that is, MS took the brute force, off-the-shelf-component approach. It's the only one that I know of that has HDTV games out now. The game selection is quite limited, though, compared to PS2 in particular. And, I'm a bit hesitant to patronize the Evil Empire if there are other ways to get my "fix."

I'd consider getting an XBox if it had a "killer app" that I couldn't get anywhere else.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net