This is a crosspost from the related thread on HTF:

Based on this thread, I went and did some spot checks with my Outlaw 950 connected to an Aragon 8008x3 amp. (Just checked the front channels.)

I couldn't hear a blessed thing with my ear right on the NHT 2.5 and the Outlaw 950 set to 0Db reference level, listening to a digital input with nothing attached to it.

I wouldn't take no noise for an answer, though. That wouldn't help any of the folks who are having problems. So, I decided to experiment with different power input configurations.

I found that if I plugged the Aragon amp directly into the wall (as opposed to the power filter. And I'm just using a Tripp Lite Isobar) I could hear a bit of low volume hiss/hum. Note that in my standard setup I have the Aragon plugged into one of the isolated outputs on the Isobar -- not the Db outlets (if you're familiar with the unit, this will mean something to you.) Plugged into a DB outlet, I hear some "compression" of the sound and less separation/air.

I haven't believed in power conditioners but maybe I have to change my tune based on this experiment. Damn. I don't wanna blow hundreds on another component.

Based on my system I'd be inclined to think the hiss and hum problem people are having may be something outside the 950 (or an issue with an individual unit.) If you can hear noise at 12 feet, there is something seriously at fault.

I do find that the 950 may be more susceptible to external hum/hiss than my old H/K Sig 2 pre/pro. But that may be due to a lower noise floor. I DID have to put more effort into chasing down external noise with the Outlaw than with my previous setup. The effort paid off with blessed silence, however.