Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#37995 - 06/23/02 05:29 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think eddyboy hit the nail on the head here. I'm glad the thread is here, as it offers some first-hand user experience with the zone 2 operation on the 950. For some people, the zone 2 user interface (which is pretty klunky) gets the job done fine. But if somebody really is looking for a good bit of flexibility in the zone 2 operation, the 950 may be disappointing. Put another way, just because the zone 2 features are all I need (I will probably add a headphone amp on zone 2 one of these day) doesn't mean that the features are enough for cliffk's needs. Different users have different requirements.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#37996 - 06/24/02 02:21 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
underparr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well like Cliff control and multi-zone is as much an issue as quality of music and processing. My gear is rack mounted in it's own room so everything is controlled through the wall with a Pronto. I ended up with a Denon 5803. It has full control of 3 zones if needed and discretes for everything you could think of and more. I am not comparing it at all to the 950 as they are 2 totally different products. I was considering the 950 very hard but with what I see as a lot of little annoying control problems that would drive me nuts I did what was best for me dollars not being an issue. For some where dollars are an issue this is their only choice and I see some people, not all basing their decisions on that alone. It jumps right out in some posts. For some this is all they can afford and I respect them but the cheap ones I don't respect at all. I even see people trying to get free shipping,cables etc etc. You folks should look in the mirror and see what the rest of us see. If you really feel the 950 is for you,worth the wait and within your budget then that is the reason to buy it. Please stop demanding these people give you their blood. I don't think they have much wiggle room in their price point to earn a reasonable profit and still give more away.

#37997 - 06/24/02 06:03 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
santaclarajim Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, California
Quote:
Originally posted by underparr:
Well like Cliff control and multi-zone is as much an issue as quality of music and processing. My gear is rack mounted in it's own room so everything is controlled through the wall with a Pronto. I ended up with a Denon 5803. It has full control of 3 zones if needed and discretes for everything you could think of and more. I am not comparing it at all to the 950 as they are 2 totally different products. I was considering the 950 very hard but with what I see as a lot of little annoying control problems that would drive me nuts I did what was best for me dollars not being an issue. For some where dollars are an issue this is their only choice and I see some people, not all basing their decisions on that alone. It jumps right out in some posts. For some this is all they can afford and I respect them but the cheap ones I don't respect at all. I even see people trying to get free shipping,cables etc etc. You folks should look in the mirror and see what the rest of us see. If you really feel the 950 is for you,worth the wait and within your budget then that is the reason to buy it. Please stop demanding these people give you their blood. I don't think they have much wiggle room in their price point to earn a reasonable profit and still give more away.

underparr,

While your opinion is certainly welcome, I respectfully disagree.

My job, as a consumer, is to buy the product that best fits my needs at the best price possible. Outlaw's job is to maximize its profits. Somewhere in the middle lies the equilibrium.

Outlaw will not make a deal that is unprofitable. Only they know what their margins are. Only they know how much they can wiggle. Outlaw's success is predicated almost exclusively upon word of mouth. Only they can determine the value of the word of mouth generated by treating their customers well. Do you feel that you have been treated well of late?

I have been waiting since January. Outlaw set our expectations for delivery and then failed to deliver on time. I understand the reasons why and I sympathize. I have no problem with missing a drop date. I do, however, have a problems with Outlaw's failure to maintain communication with its loyal customers.

As you obviously have been following these threads, you must have noticed that Outlaw's actions of late have not engendered much goodwill among its intended customer base. Outlaw's silence has created a good deal of distrust. From the postings I have read, I must conclude that a good number of people have lost faith and purchased from alternate vendors. I have considered it myself.

Despite the problems, some of us have remained loyal to Outlaw. If we have rattled their cages, it is because we do not want to see Outlaw fail. We have been trying to remind them to focus on the customer, as this is the only way they will succeed. For a short while, they seemed to forget that.

As to the question of compensation, I feel that I have waited an unusually long time this product. Outlaw has, in the past, expressed its appreciation for the loyalty of its customers by offering them compensation for their investment of time, energy, and ultimately, money.

With all due respect, I don't think it is your place to dictate what other should request or expect. I have made no demands of Outlaw. I have suggested that they offer some consideration for the loyalty and patience many of us have manifested.

Ultimately, a potential customer will have to decide whether Outlaw is the right choice. Only Outlaw Audio can decide how it wants to treat its customers.

Your opinions are welcome. Your baseless judgement is not.

Sincerely,
Santa Clara Jim

#37998 - 06/24/02 10:34 AM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
As to the original point of a difficult user interface with Zone 2, I programmed my Pronto to handle an earlier attempt at a multi-zone system (with old receivers etc, not the 950) and while it wasn't a very sexy approach, I never had a problem. Since 2 of the people commenting about the problems with Zone 2 have Prontos, it might be worth a look into making that the solution. I basically had pages set up so that when I hit an action, it would take me to a different page with different macros to control the other actions.

Example: Switch multi to CD might be a 3 function macro. Then have it take you to the "I am currently on Multi CD" page with all of the necessary macros to go to another setting from the current position in the menu, i.e. CD. Make them all look the same and nobody would know the better.

I may not be understanding the problem and I agree that discrete codes are never a bad thing. But if somebody who has access puts some thought into it, maybe they can find the specific solution for their own needs.

S.

#37999 - 06/24/02 12:18 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
Shaster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami Florida, USA
Well, why continue to borrow from peter to pay paul, It seems to me that the 2nd Zone of components are really for the Novice user, However when you are refering to a End user that is really into Multi-source/Multi-Zone situations it is time to step up and dedicate components for your Theater and Multi Zone/source systems, however they can share the same sources, and having individual base, treble, balance and loudness per Zone is do-able and ease of opperation is always a nice touch. Take care all..Peace!!

#38000 - 06/24/02 06:10 PM Re: Outlaw 950 Zone 2 Unusable for Multi-Room /Outlaw Cust Serv Not all Cracked Up to Be
underparr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Do you feel that you have been treated well of late? "

JIM,

I agree with most of what you said. I called them a while ago and willing to wait myself as I thought this was going to be a great product. After numerous phone calls about the operation of the product which couldn't be answered on the spot and then when they did get back to me they gave answers to other questions not the ones I asked about. This went on and on. I then started to see the complaints and lack of response here. I took my money and went else where like a lot have already done. Personally I think it's nuts to wait giving the current nature of things. As far as asking them for anything it's up to you and I was just stating the way it sounded. Some people and I am not in any way saying this about you but some people are always looking for something for nothing. I can appreciate your patience but at the same time I don't understand it? I am enjoying my unit now and not waiting for emails with out one problem and it looks great as well . Best of luck to all of you.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM