Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#37941 - 07/04/02 10:40 AM 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
davewb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: columbia, md, usa
I have the 950/770 combo on order (this will replace my venerable Yamaha DSP-A3090, which will be moved elsewhere in the house). I currently have a 6-year old Sony XBR rear projection TV, and want to replace it with a new -- hopefully state of the art -- monitor. This will be used for viewing HDTV (our cable company is supposed to be offering HDTV boxes this fall!!!) and progressive scan DVDs (along with an occasional LD and S-VHS tape).

I'm looking at the 63" Pioneer Elite RPTV and the Sony 60" Grand Vega (LCD). Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of either of these units? Are there other monitors I should be looking at? We have a seperate home theater room with no windows, so it can be made as dark, or light, as we want.

Thanks for your input -- I've been enjoying reading your comments on the a variety of issues (but please -- no discussion on interconnects in this thread! ;-) )

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

#37942 - 07/04/02 11:17 AM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
I think Smart Little Lena just got the Grand Wega. That makes her one of my virtual hero's!!!
I've heard great things about both units, but have no personal experience with either...sorry. I mean it...I'm really sorry I don't have any experience with either unit

#37943 - 07/04/02 12:31 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Dave, I don't think you could go wrong with either set. I don't own either but I have seen them both in stores and they are absolutely beautiful. I like the picture of the Sony LCD but its hard to choose when you have it going head to head with a pioneer elite. I understand your problem. The only other thing I would consider is a fptv. Sony makes a real nice one in that price range. Good Luck! And happy 4th if you are a yankee, and happy 4th even if you are not

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited July 04, 2002).]

#37944 - 07/04/02 01:02 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Davewb,

I am a layperson in a sea of audio/video philes.
There were several units I did not research due to our extreme depth/size limitations. It limited my choices severely to either the new larger DLP’s just coming on the market, Plasma, or the Sony.
I will say again I never saw a RPTV that I would have considered bringing home (and that includes Toshiba and a few other highly regarded) until the Sony LCD but if depth of case had not been a factor, I would have looked at the Elite.

I did not research FP for Light control and room specs considerations. You might look into this area since you have the dedicated HT room. Just in passing I did not like many FP for various reasons but some of the newest offerings (without knowing much about them) have caught my eye. If I’m back in Frys I’ll eyeball the newest proj I saw that was a leap forward, but I believed it retailed there for 12K. I do know that there are many FP guys that would feel you could put a nice FP system up for the price of the 2 models you mention.

Since I have not researched the Elite stats. I really can’t help you compare. The few things I know about it.
Pioneer about 300+ weight. Sony 138.
The Pioneer may have better black level.
I believe the screen on the front of the Elite is complained about, as being very ‘mirror like’ and sensitive to reflections. In your room this should not be a problem unless you leave low lights or lamps on which happen to spot reflect from the screen. It’s my understanding some purchasers install the Pioneer leaving the reflector screen off the unit. (at least on older models this was possible)
The Sony has no RGB input (a problem for me as I had the RCA HD Sat with RGB out).
I think the Pioneer has RGB input but it could be useless for Computer hookup (or was in the past models except for a Sat decoder hookup).
Depending on how you view the Great Scare of future compatibility, I think the Pioneer has DVI.
Since the Sony uses LCD panels it has no liner convergence calibration issues which I believe can ruin an improperly calibrated Elite picture.
Check into the possibility if the newest models coming out on these units will get rid of HD locking into full on the screen. (an irritation to me).
For the family factor, play with the remotes of both of both on the showroom floor.

My favorite trick when researching a purchase like this is to dig deep on the Net looking for the Service Technical bulletins, and Brand specific boards where consumers are asking for help with different issues on their model. Seeing their questions gives me the most valuable information about the real world considerations in their HT’s. It also gives me a feel for if particular unit’s quirks are issues, which are personally objectionable to me, or not.

After the 4th Jeremy may pop out of the Woodwork, He owns the 50 Sony LCD. He can expertly discuss pixel structure etc. and may have researched the Elite set himself.

I just have a critical eye (within my own personal parameters) without knowing all the technology behind it. You picked the only 2 I would consider in a RPTV when I factored in all tradeoffs between the brands. But if you have some time study DLP.

Happy 4th all, I'm headed to the Lake, and then front row seats just offside of HP at Texas Ranger stadium!!! Yippy

#37945 - 07/04/02 02:21 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
JeffreyMercado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Queens Village
I personally think you should look at the new samsung DLP coming out in a month. I am not a big fan of CRT RPTVs because those lenses get dirty they are very sensitive to movement so you have to recalibrate often. I do not like the idea of paying $5999 for a 60" display that has dead pixels. Especially when you can get a projector capable of a 110" picture for $3699 from sony as well. I think for $4000 the samsung 50" can be had it is a DLP with DVI and 3-2 pulldown. Pioneer is pricey and does not have DVI unless they have a new one. But why not wait a couple of months to see all the new TVs. Hitachi with DVI and firewire, Sony with a new uniform convergence for even light output, Samsungs affordable DLPs only 15" deep, and what ever comes out at CEDIA in September. I think the pioneer and sony LCD are already outdated. But if you want the sony or pioneer go to www.onecall.com they have the best prices.

#37946 - 07/05/02 10:54 AM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
If you decide to wait and watch for the new offers. (I'm so sorry I can't remember details) Since I'm shopping for a DVD player if I can figure out who I was speaking to I'll ask them for details again.
A salesman mentioned something about an issue with DLP sets, (pretty sure in connection with the new Samsung coming out now). He was interupted while speaking and didn't go back to the subject. May have been 'heat'? problems with the units running too hot? I'd try to research that, and if I find the info again I'll pass it along.

#37947 - 07/05/02 08:08 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
davewb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: columbia, md, usa
Thanks for your comments, everyone. Since I presumably will be waiting a while before I get my 950/770, I will have the time to thoroughly audition both the Sony and the Pioneer. I will also look at DLPs.

If I find interesting information, I'll let you all know!

Lena -- let me know if you're ever in the DC/Baltimore area...I'll take you to an O's game at Camden Yards...While The Ballpark is nice, nothing beats the original! ;-)

#37948 - 07/05/02 10:20 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
C'mon Fenway is better with tons more history!

#37949 - 07/05/02 11:38 PM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Fenway is in a class all it's own. Unfortunately it is too small to make enough money to compete, so it will get renovated or replaced.
I miss Boston really bad.

#37950 - 07/06/02 08:56 AM Re: 950/770 on order -- which video monitor to use?
Azistoohot Offline
Gunslinger

I have a Pioneer Elite 610 58 inch RPTV. The new series is the 620. I have duvetyne installed in the tv cavity. This is a tweak to reduce internal reflections. The black level on an Elite is awesome. It's unbelievably black. Also, I took the "glare screen" off. If you have older kids, this is fine. With younger kids, I recommend leaving the glare screen on. With the glare screen off, there is no glare whatsoever. When watching the TV during the day (with the curtains open), I have a macro on my Pronto that ups contrast and brightness. However, with the curtains closed, you can easily watch during the day. The new models do not lock into full mode. Mine does. However, my DVD player automatically selects progressive or non-progressive; my HDTV player (Dish 6000 satellite/OTA receiver) will change screen ratios at the push of a button. I've never had a problem with 'lock in full.' The TV is heavy, weighing in at 330 pounds. The 63 inch is heavier -- 360? If you move the TV from house to house, you will have to set it up again. Convergence really isn't much of an issue -- in one day/ weekend per year, you can do the convergence for all 5 or 6 screen modes. Since I only use two screen modes, it's easy for me -- takes a few hours at mose. I had my set calibrated about 6 months ago, and I just did some minor convergence around the edges. That's it. I bought this TV because the new models were coming out and it was a great deal. LCDs are nice, but I'd really have to see what black levels they have.

Here are some better forums for this question and for research:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM