Quote:
Originally posted by Avi:
Jason,

Oh, I agree with you completely. In fact (since everyone else is throwing URLs around), one of my first columns was on the subject: http://www.greengart.com/columns/column003.htm . But I have learned not to take things too far in the other direction, either: lamp cord should be left to lamps. Maybe my batch was an anomoly, but the lesson I learned was to stick with cable that's desinged to pass an audio signal and has a higher level of quality control.

-avi

Avi,

Alas, I have no urls to flash around since neuroaudio has seemed to have taken all of the good ones. I mean this to be a "friendly quote", not a tirade, and not a scolding or a "mighter than thou" quote. This is a "college buddy" post. Please, feel free to laugh...and read with the fran earnistness if say...Mel Brooks or Gene Wilder were delivering these lines in a movie.

I am currently using 12 guage monster (or refered to up here in the great white tundra as "shotgun wire") for all of my speakers. I'm using the Monster speaker wire namely since I know the owner of a local audio shop pretty well and he sold me a 100 foot spool for close to cost. I definatly heard a differance from the previous speaker wire I was using...18 guage. Yep speaker wire so thin you could threat pencil lead with it. However, I've also experimented with some rat shack, and made my own CAT5 cables (hey working as a TV/Radio engeneer has it's benifits)...and the differance between them is a moot point in my book. Provided they offer low resistance and proper shielding it doesn't matter.

Again, I personly don't use anything less then my shotgun wire. Mainly because that did the trick for me, and I am more then happy with it.

I'm using RatShat Gold interconnects...yes I borrowed Monster 3, and AVR interconnects...granted that these are pretty much what some would consider the "bargan basement" of the interconnect world, but for the love of GOd...I live in North Dakota where it's a friggin miracle we have electricity. To me there was very little differance between any cable that was properly shielded. Now if your are compairin an unshielded cable with a diamiter 1/2 that of the others...it's a no-brainer that you are probibaly looking a a greater resistance, and more electrical interferance. But using quality shielded cables with the proper guage...There shouldn't be any proplems. And from a strict scientific, and electrical standpoint the ELECTRONS DO NOT CARE what they pass through provided that you give them enough space. We aren't transporting miniture violins and tympani here, we are transmitting electrical signals that move the magnetic drivers in our speakers. (Or in the case of analog interconnects, we are creating a path through which those electrons move to our amp or other gear.)

Now please, before anyone makes an angry post..or trys to "whip it out" and claim that I am (in the immortal words of Hannibal Lecter) "Not more then one generation removed from poor white trash" since I prefer to spend my cash on gear, movies, and other things that I can think a few hundred greenbacks can be better spent on...say what you will. I am not saying that anyone is stupid, ignorant, dimwitted, buffonish, catterwig...crap, I'm running out of synonyms. All I'm saying is this:

A) Products constructed identicaly will behave identically.

B) Interconnects/wire/circuts are symply "electrical bridges"..the only thing that they can to to "influence" your system is be poorly insulated, or ad a healthy dose of resistance between componients.

C) Gear constucted with differant componients can possibly sound different from each other.

D) it is absolutly mental that this keeps going around in circles. I didn't have to do this much typing on my thesis in college.

-Jason