Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Now that I think of it... how many manufacturers of any audio/video component actually does ABX DBTs versus any other competing manufacturer's components?

I'm not sure about vs. competitors, but Harmon Intl. uses ABX extensively in R&D.

There are lots of things that go into a buying decision and I would be the last to say performance is the only criterion. Pride of ownership, appearance, build quality, personal preference, branding, and a ton of other factors are important.

As an example the Outlaw interconnects may not sound different in a blind test than any other interconnect, but they are Outlaw branded and look very well made. There is nothing wrong or foolish about buying them based on that, and if one thinks their system sounds better afterwards, great. But for Outlaw or anyone to claim huge or immediately noticable and identifiable changes to the sound of a third parties' system would IMO require more rigorous proof.

Also, most other classes of components are chock full of easily measurable characteristics that often either border or cross into the realm of theoretical audibity. Thus with instrumented measurements in hand they can, IMO, lay a valid claim. Whether their claim is exagerated or not is up to each one to determine based on the measurements presented.