Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#37456 - 06/06/02 06:57 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I thought one of the beta testers had some experience with the B&K but I may be wrong. I don't know of anyone who has directly compared these two units though. Anyone else?

#37457 - 06/06/02 07:02 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think merc had been demo-ing a Ref30 when he first got his beta unit.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#37458 - 06/06/02 09:01 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
david Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Roswell, GA USA
fmcorps,

I have no experience with the 950, but I have owned the ref 30 for about 9 months now. I use Martin Logan speakers and the Outlaw 750 amp. Sound is subjective, but I will just say that this set up sounds incredible, at least to my ears.

Something I don't hear much discussion about is the ref 30's system A/V presets. It's so much more than something in the features list. While the ref 30 doesn't have any DSP modes, it has the following listening modes: surround, stereo, THX, and mono. You can then configure that particular mode with any number of speakers, 1 to 7. A nice way around DSP modes, this allows for 28 configurations, and you can do what you want with them.

Here is where the presets come in - you get 40 of them (actually, 40 for each of its two zones)! You can configure source (video can be different if desired), sound mode, number of speakers, EQ, sub level, center level, and rear level. For example, you can have a preset called MOVIE - SURROUND, 6 speakers, a bright EQ, rears flat, center -1, sub +2. Because it also allows for a direct mode, to bypass any processing, I have a MUSIC preset. But, for times I want to use my sub for music, I have a preset called SUB. For watching movies at night, I have a NIGHT preset so I don't bother my neighbors (as much). Very flexible, and very simple. With my MX-500, instant recall of system configurations requires only one button press. How easy is that?

I hope you do get a chance to audition both and compare them head to head. I didn't see too many comments on the ref 30 here, so I just wanted to help. Yes, it costs more than the 950; you should be able to find them now for under $2K. Good luck

------------------

#37459 - 06/07/02 12:18 AM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Hi Guys,
While I impatiently waited for the 950, I bought a Ref 90 for my HT. I ended up keeping it for 29 days, the maximum, part of which also included my initial ownership of the my initial beta1 950 unit. Compared on that A/B in house ownership, I returned the Ref 30 and kept the no-tuner, beta1, Outlaw 950 unit. The primary reason was due to only the sound of each unit when playing back both movies and music and included the internal DAC system in the sound. In ALL cases I preferred the 950. Then I tried the analog inputted music sources and REALLY favored the 950 to the Ref 30. IMHO, the Ref 30 just sounded more veiled, and less detailed than the 950....YMMV!

------------------
Take Care,
merc

[This message has been edited by merc (edited June 07, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#37460 - 06/07/02 01:33 AM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Thanks, that's kind of what I wanted to know.

I"m using Paradigm Monitors for my HT setup
Mains: M9
Center: M370
Surrounds: M3
Rears: No room

I've chosen the 9's because the sounded the best to me. I liked the sound, because to me it was a very clear, very true reproduction of the source material. I specificaly chose them over B&W/Boston/PSB/ and a few others that escape my memor right now, because they felt to muddy to me. As I stated before, I was poised to plunk down some cash for the Integra 6.3, however I had that "unfortunate" run in with the NAD seperates and saw the light.

What I prefered in the Integra (as opposed to the compairable models from Onkyo/Denon/ and HK) was that the other recievers were missing a lot of midtone. I felt that they were a lot more colored then the others. However I also auditioned the B&K 307, and something just felt to "thick" to me with the sound reproduction. (Same thing with the MacIntosh seperates I listened to). So long story short, it sounds like the OUtlaw would be the best bet, given the general view is that the Outlaw is a more "revealing" pre, which sounds more like It's up my alley.

Yet, as it has been said time and time again, the ultimate test will be taking the piece (or pieces-as I"m still working out which should be include in the final bout of the NAD/B&K/Outlaw/Rotel shootout) home and listening to them in person-a title bout to be sure.

Whew, that's a mouthfull. But thanks for the help in making up my mind to give this piece a shot in the title round. Now it's just a matter of saving up my sheckles for the big fight.

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited June 07, 2002).]

#37461 - 06/07/02 01:49 AM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Hey Merc,

I've got an extra license for UBB if you need it to get off the ground. Looks like I need a new home as well as of tonight.

brianca...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM