Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37446 - 06/06/02 10:44 AM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Quote:
They do sound different, it's just a matter of which sound you prefer.
Of course, how they sound is also greatly affected by their other gear, especially speakers. You really have to try any pre/pro out in your system in order to fully judge how one will sound...
As for JJ, he has some very nice systems, and based on his use of Maggies(very revealing) and his preference for the tubed sound, I am not suprised that he preferred the Anthem, or maybe even would have liked a Ref 30 in comparison to the Outlaw. The Anthem looks like a very nice match for the rest of his gear and his tastes.

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#37447 - 06/06/02 10:50 AM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: austin, tx
Quote:

Of course, how they sound is also greatly affected by their other gear, especially speakers

Right. That's why I'm trying to base my comments mostly on what people who have tried both in their own theater have said. I'm also trying to be clear that I think that the 950 will be bright and the 1066 warm relative to each other no matter what other equipment you have.

brianca.

[This message has been edited by brianca (edited June 06, 2002).]

#37448 - 06/06/02 01:22 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
LQQK Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Earth
When the word "Bright" is used, does it mean that the sound is reproducing the HiNote's more pronounced (like turning up the treble)?

As for "Warm" does it mean more bass?

LQQK

#37449 - 06/06/02 01:33 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Bright means more detail or harsh, warm means smoother or muddled. It depends what side of the coin you are on. Brianca, it appears to me the consensus would say that in a blind test the sound would be indistinguishable, but when people know which one they are listening to they can detect a small difference.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited June 06, 2002).]

#37450 - 06/06/02 01:58 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

Which comparisons are you refering to?

brianca..

#37451 - 06/06/02 02:03 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Brianca, all of them except yours. Why are we talking about them? I figure these people can read and interpret for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited June 06, 2002).]

#37452 - 06/06/02 02:03 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
According to Stereophile, here are some audio descriptor definitions:
dark - A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency.

warm - The same as dark, but less tilted. A certain amount of warmth is a normal part of musical sound.

bright, brilliant - The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive.

harsh - Gratingly unpleasant to the ear.

detail - The subtlest, most delicate parts of the original sound, which are usually the first things lost by imperfect components. See "low-level detail." Compare "haze," "smearing," "veiling."

Hope that helps!

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#37453 - 06/06/02 02:51 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
brianca Offline
Gunslinger

We're talking about them because I can't find a single review of a person who has had them both in their theater for a demo who has said that they are indistinguishable. I was one of those people and I didn't say that, so I don't think you can say all of them.

I feel like you are misrepresenting what I said in my review, so I want to correct that. That's why I'm talking about it.

brianca..

[This message has been edited by brianca (edited June 06, 2002).]

#37454 - 06/06/02 04:09 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Thanks Brianca.

#37455 - 06/06/02 06:38 PM Re: Feeling the pull of the dark side...
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Hey guys,

Once again, thanks for the information. Has anyone tried (or can point me int the right direction) of a 950-B&K Ref 30 discussion.

Oh, and I personaly prefer my set up to be a little bright. Like I've said before, I'ld rather hear what's on the recording, as opposed to hearing a piece of equipment's interpretation of a recording.

NOt to say there's anything wrong with that. It's just a personal preferance.

-Jason

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM