Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37272 - 05/23/02 06:34 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
lance Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well Spoken!

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
Break-in is an actual phenomenon. Except that it is we (the listeners) that are being broken in, as we get used to the sound of something new in our systems.

#37273 - 06/04/02 09:00 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
tkirchen Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I must say that whether or not burn in has anything to do with it, I like the sound of my 950/770 much better after a week or two of tweaking. Right out of the box I was not very happy. I thought about all of those months of waiting...then I got out my spl meter, adjusted the crossovers, and just listened. Maybe it was the tweaking...maybe it was my fairly new speakers...maybe it was just me. I love the sound I get today!

#37274 - 06/04/02 10:14 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
rcaudio Offline
Gunslinger

It's too bad this "phenomenon" can't be measured. The "placebo effect" stands on firmer ground.
I also think the system sounds better now than when I first hooked it up. However I know there is nothing that requires break-in in an electronic device. On the contrary the electrolytic caps have already degraded reducing the power supply filtering a miniscule amount.

#37275 - 06/05/02 03:09 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
L. O. Little Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Regarding break-in, check out:

http://www.simaudio.com/faq.htm#q09

Personally, I believe in break-in. However, 4 weeks of constant operation is a VERY long time...

------------------
Lynn Olan Little
lolittle@earthlink.net

#37276 - 06/14/02 03:09 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
dybbuk Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by rcaudio:
It's too bad this "phenomenon" can't be measured. The "placebo effect" stands on firmer ground.
I also think the system sounds better now than when I first hooked it up. However I know there is nothing that requires break-in in an electronic device. On the contrary the electrolytic caps have already degraded reducing the power supply filtering a miniscule amount.

It's too bad you don't understand what a placebo effect is. A placebo, in drug testing, is an inactive compound that can cause apparent drug effects due to a patient's expectation of drug effects. The effect is psychological rather than pharmacological.

However, you have told us that you believe "there is nothing that requires break-in in an electronic device". A placebo effect requires a priori expectation. No expectation, no placebo. If, as in your case, no change is expected, but you hear change anyway, this is actually the opposite of what a placebo effect would predict.

There could be psychology involved...you're simply getting used to the sound. That's habituation, not a placebo. Or, you could actually be hearing burn-in, but be so convinced that it doesn't happen that you don't even believe your own ears...

#37277 - 06/14/02 04:38 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
Jason Kent Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Michigan
If an amp had to be 'broken-in' the designer would know all the parameters and they would be measurable, predictable and definable - and if they were - guess what - it wouldn't be shipped out unless it was 'broken-in' - or the spefic instructions for 'breaking-in' would be in the manual - including the number of hours/days/weeks, etc. - including what 'changes' would be noted.

but any manufacturer of high-quality equipment is going to be damn sure that 'out of the box' is the sound PLANNED FOR.

All graduates of the course Logic 101 - should subscribe to this.

Amen!

#37278 - 06/14/02 06:28 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
dybbuk Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Kent:
If an amp had to be 'broken-in' the designer would know all the parameters and they would be measurable, predictable and definable - and if they were - guess what - it wouldn't be shipped out unless it was 'broken-in' - or the spefic instructions for 'breaking-in' would be in the manual - including the number of hours/days/weeks, etc. - including what 'changes' would be noted.

This is one of the most naive posts I've seen. No manufacturer on a tight budget and behind in shipping is going to take it's product out of the box, plug it in, and let it break in for a few days. That takes space, personnel, and adds cost. In other words, not a chance in a unit at this price point.

Measurable? Predictable? The part that caused audio drop-out in the early units was within specs. You really think all of the interactions in a piece of equipment this complex can be accounted for?

Quote:

but any manufacturer of high-quality equipment is going to be damn sure that 'out of the box' is the sound PLANNED FOR.

All graduates of the course Logic 101 - should subscribe to this.

Amen!

Yeah, I'm real sure those audio drop-outs were planned for...

Since you seem to have failed Logic 101, you might consider that someone can only measure and predict something if he thinks to try and measure it first, and has the tools to do so. Anyone who has successfully graduated Logic 101 and spent a little time in the real world knows that you take your best shot, and hope that you've covered all the bases...and pray that something you've missed doesn't turn and bite you. In the 950's case, the last minute glitches were relatively minor compared to some products.

You really think that someone trying to market something like this is going to tell you to let it burn-in for a few weeks, or take the time/expense to do it himself? Any sane marketer will make sure the equipment sounds decent out of the box and sell it to you. The time you spend breaking it in isn't dollars out of his pocket. Most people aren't going to notice anyway. Bear in mind that this is entry level for high end audio equipment...most buyers are going to be coming up from mid-fi receivers and simply aren't going to be sensitive to fine alterations in performance.

[This message has been edited by dybbuk (edited June 14, 2002).]

#37279 - 06/14/02 08:08 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
rcaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by dybbuk:
It's too bad you don't understand what a placebo effect is. A placebo, in drug testing, is an inactive compound that can cause apparent drug effects due to a patient's expectation of drug effects. The effect is psychological rather than pharmacological.

However, you have told us that you believe "there is nothing that requires break-in in an electronic device". A placebo effect requires a priori expectation. No expectation, no placebo. If, as in your case, no change is expected, but you hear change anyway, this is actually the opposite of what a placebo effect would predict.

There could be psychology involved...you're simply getting used to the sound. That's habituation, not a placebo. Or, you could actually be hearing burn-in, but be so convinced that it doesn't happen that you don't even believe your own ears...

Man, you sure are smart!

#37280 - 06/14/02 11:18 PM Re: Break-in time for a 950
L. O. Little Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
"If an amp had to be 'broken-in' the designer would know all the parameters and they would be measurable, predictable and definable - and if they were - guess what - it wouldn't be shipped out unless it was 'broken-in' - or the spefic instructions for 'breaking-in' would be in the manual - including the number of hours/days/weeks, etc. - including what 'changes' would be noted.
but any manufacturer of high-quality equipment is going to be damn sure that 'out of the box' is the sound PLANNED FOR."

Jason, I happen to own & love a Bryston 4B ST amp. Bryston puts all their amps through 100 hours of burn-in before they ship...

------------------
Lynn Olan Little
lolittle@earthlink.net

#37281 - 06/15/02 12:38 AM Re: Break-in time for a 950
Jason Kent Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Michigan
Exactly! If a designer has made a circuit using components that will 'change' - then the manufacturer will ship accordingly - and not leave anything to chance.

If a designer has used circuits and components that they know won't change then it will ALSO be 'right' - 'out of the box.'

(I'm referring here to the 'changes' implied by those suggesting the 'dramatic' changes that happen with 'break-in' - as if the manufacturers were selling half-baked bread - I am NOT referring to component changes that probably do occur over years of use that may or may NOT have any noticeable differences in sound anyhow)

In any and every case, a skilled dessigner will KNOW what's 'up ahead.'

[This message has been edited by Jason Kent (edited June 15, 2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM