Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3657 - 02/20/03 10:42 AM Sound quality
Joe Farr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
When channel surfing on DIRECTV with my 1050 set to surround (pro logic, pcm) I'm amazed at the range of audio quality. Sometimes it sounds great (good sound coming from all 5 speakers). Other times everything comes from the center channel (I know this is common). What has me concerned is everything between.

The worst is a chirping or gurgle type sound coming from the mains and rears. This seems to happen when most of the sound is coming from the center channel which remains distortion free. This can range from when there is very little sound coming from the fronts and rears (almost sounds like bleed through) to when there is a fair amount of sound coming from them.

Other times the dialogue seems like its trying to come out of the mains but just seems to cut in and out.

None of this is really that audible from the sitting position. You have to get close to the speaker to hear it.

Is this distortion normal or is my 1050 having trouble decoding certain signals?

Stereo mode solves all this but you lose center speaker dialogue which sounds more natural to me.

Is this what pro logic II is supposed to solve?

#3658 - 02/20/03 11:26 AM Re: Sound quality
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I'm amazed at the range of audio quality. There is a constantly variable quality noticed here with Direct TV.

ProLogic II should not solve what you are hearing. It’s not a ‘clean up of loose bits’ It is simply a steering mechanism, which redirects information. As are all other DSP modes and each should be able to direct the sound without bleed over or any sort of aborted attempts to whichever speakers they are steering (“seems to come out of the mains but cuts in and out”).

I have just recently had trouble with the stream being fed from Direct, but with HD channels where sound can warble a sec, and dropout. This week usually it’s just gone during several hours at any given time on HDNET. The rest of the SD channels this should not occur, unless your seeing video dropout at the same time when weathers coming in etc.

I would say check all connections and most particularly check your ground for your Satellite, it should be grounded to the main house ground and not separately (as some installers attempt). Check all connections from the exterior in and your interconnects. When the signal is more compressed (as some channels are),
I’ve found any borderline interference will become more apparent. The sound your describing sounds like an issue with interference, which is sporadic. Ex: you could find that this situation occurs due to a speaker cable picking up electrical from the power cord being situated too close when a large appliance kicks in. etc. Check the settings in your Direct receiver, some settings in my HD version of a box will work perfectly with some channels , - yet not others, - creating audio/video artifacts if selected incorrectly.

What your describing most certainly seems connected with the handling of the DSP modes, (you mention avoiding it by using stereo). And could be, you will, - trace it to a faulty part in the 1050, but this has the sound of an issue elsewhere in your processing of the stream.

#3659 - 02/22/03 10:12 AM Re: Sound quality
Joe Farr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Lena,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried everything and nothing seems to have helped. I went and got another receiver and it does the same thing. At least I know it's not my 1050.

The distortion is not sporadic. CNN, Fox News Channel, local stations etc. always have this distortion (voices seem most susceptible) while other channels never do.

I have a Hughes receiver with tivo. I don't know any settings that I can change that would maybe effect any of this. Perhaps you can elaborate.

#3660 - 02/22/03 10:40 AM Re: Sound quality
Joe Farr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

[This message has been edited by Joe Farr (edited February 23, 2003).]

#3661 - 02/22/03 12:08 PM Re: Sound quality
charlie Offline
Desperado

I'm using the 1050 with what MAY be the same TiVo box, a Hughes GXCEBOT STB. I actually have a pair of the STBs, One hooked to the 1050 through the optical and one in a bedroom hooked direct to TV via analog. Both are fine, although there are very occasional blurb and gargle sounds that often accompany bad weather.

#3662 - 02/22/03 12:30 PM Re: Sound quality
Desperado

I hate this kind of detective work; it can be so frustrating. But then again very satisfying when resolved.

Retrace setting on my HD STB (3 choices) affects audio and pic. to varying degrees depending on WHICH channel you surf if set incorrectly. Time for a little “Process of elimination” until someone sees your symptoms and has an epiphany.

What was changed in your system just prior to this occurrence? Did you only add in a new 1050, or as many do when adding one thing, leads to changing another while they are at it.
Anything else changed recently? A strip surge protector, new interconnects the STB or dish were upgraded ?

You mention (when surfing) Are you hearing this only for seconds at a time as signal locks in, as you surf, or does the channel exhibit the behavior constantly when selected?
What is your signal strength on the dish locked in at?
A method, (very tedious) but often what it takes. Disconnect every part of the system, if you have DVD/VHS etc. Disconnect EVERYTHING, leaving only your connections between the display, basic STB, and 1050 active. Use the most basic setup, Video direct from SAT to Display, audio into 1050. Don’t go through any video switching in your receiver. (Sorry …not familiar with the 1050) If you are using multiple paths take these connections down to only one choice, so that if you have S-Video and Component for video, only start with one connection. Is it gone? Then change to the other video connection, is it back? Etc.

Before you go to all this trouble, I would confirm (details of what has been changed/added will help), that it is not a faulty STB. And double-check manual settings for that unit. I’ll try to find what I can on yours if you will list, the full model designation.
(Is there an owners manual acessabile on-line for your unit..I can access?)

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 22, 2003).]

#3663 - 02/22/03 08:09 PM Re: Sound quality
Joe Farr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The model of my Hughes STB is GXCEBOT D.

This is my first excursion into HT so I've added all kinds of things to my system. However, when I hooked up the Yamaha, I only had the speakers & the digital optical cable coming from the Hughes hooked up to it and the results were the same. No need for video. This is an audio problem only.

It seems to be program specific. The program may have that warbling sound coming out of just the rears. Another program the fronts and the rears. A commercial might come on and sound great. Other programs have good sound across the front and absolute silence in the rear. My instincts are telling me that this all has to do with the way a program was recorded or is being broadcast (Mono, Stereo, DD etc.). The front always remains clear and dominant.

I must reiterate that you have to put your ear up to the speaker to hear this, that it's in the high frequencies, and voices seem most effected. But any amount of distortion is unacceptable in my book.

My satellite signal strength seems to be within specs (above 60, most running in the 80 or 90s). I'm currently trying to see if there is any correlation between transponder strenght and audio quality but it doesn't look promising.

The Fox News Channel (O'Reilly Factor, Hannity & Colmes etc.) seems to perpetualy have this problem. I get good strong sound out of the center and warbling out of the other four speakers. What do you or Charlie hear when you tune into that station (pro logic surround)?

#3664 - 02/23/03 11:42 AM Re: Sound quality
charlie Offline
Desperado

I tried the Fox news channel last night for a few minutes. They had coverage of the night club fire going. With Prologic engaged I didn't notice anything, except that it appeared to be an primarily mono broadcast. If I walked back and stuck my ear right on the speaker I could hear a quiet gurgle/chirp sort of sound, but there's no way I could ever hear that over the dialog. Is this what you're hearing? Id so, I'd bet it's some sort of compression artifact, made more obvious from the PL decoder interacting with the audio codec.

EDIT: [spelling]

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited February 23, 2003).]

#3665 - 02/23/03 12:11 PM Re: Sound quality
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Hello Joe,This is what you need to do;click on the menu,then go to audio &video,then go to audio,then go to alternate,press select english,press select again,and that should take care of your problem.Hughes is a great quality product and you should not have any problems at all.

#3666 - 02/23/03 02:58 PM Re: Sound quality
Desperado

Joe,

I’ve got it now. (at least I know exactly what your talking about). Should have paid more attention to the finer details of your earlier post. (Ear at fabric), and trying to "cut in and out' threw me. I thought you were describing a louder (different scenario which I see tied all the time into….bad interconnect, menu setting, G loop issues etc).

(my pet theory, not having had time to dig more or verify) I think what you are hearing is an incompatibly with certain DSP chips in many current processors, as regards dealing with bitstreams sloppily encoded by the broadcasters. I see in in the Outlaw, along with the (what’s the other main chipset, brain freeze, are in some high end pre’s). I have heard stories which sound like other processor's exhibit the same behaviors, (although I have not see anyone describe as you and I are referring too, they relate similar issues which I believe are tied into this one). I think the DD dropouts tied to bitstream are also related to what you are attempting to describe. I’m seeing reactions between STB’s and whatever audio system is connected all tied together with STB, prepro, broadcast, decoder, encoder incompatibilities.

I have not had time to figure out 100%, why it occurs just that it does, and is possibly out of my hands to resolve. But I can give you a workaround.
Depending what SPM you have available on the 1050 (I have the 950).
You can get rid of this trash by (on a 950)
Using: Stereo, 5/6/7stereo, PLIIM + CR, Neo6 –M, PLII – M.
You will hear it while using: PLIIC +CR, Neo6 –C, PLII – C, Dolby PL.

In one scenario when it is occurring on Direct TV channels, PCM based. You will hear the weird warble at speaker fabric, in your front L & R’s. In its worst case scenario, you will loose steering to FL and FR and everything becomes directed to your center channel. On occasion an (in between problem channel will steer slightly to the Center, and FL but the FR will be noticably weaker.
When you switch to one of the modes I suggested above you will regain steering to Front L/R when this interaction is occurring and eliminate the ‘warble’ sound. (Most people should notice the steering changes but I’ve never heard anyone post it , most would never notice the ‘warble).

One question I have wondered about is what is in the SP modes applied diffrently between the use of Music Vs Cinema mode. Whatever that difference between those some processing step added/reduced, is where this incompatible sensitivity lies.
I have been meaning to work on this issue to see if I can resolve it permanently by any means, and have not had time.
Some weird little tweaks can resolve major issues, but I have a feeling this one is tied to a deeper issue in software/hardware/signal, which is out of my hands.

Sometimes I think I’m unusually picky when I hear certain (issues for me) like this, so don’t post thinking I’ll get to sorting out A) what causes it. B) What (if any) can I do to tweak it.
You are the first to post hearing what I hear.
Forgive the delay, I was out at the SIL’s for a party late last night, did not return and hammer down exactly what you had been describing all along, -till today.
Edit: Joe , sorry just realized you won't have the PLII suite on the 1050. I checked the products page and could not tell specific SM's are available on the 1050. I did not see Neo listed, you might try on any Process modes you might have labeled extension (M) vs (C)to see if you gives simalar results to those I have found.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 23, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM